BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of doing a Nexus 7 install on my M5.

I had kind of assumed that the car had the standard factory amp mounted in the boot but there is certainly no amp in there, nor is there any wiring for one.

The car had the Business RDS tape deck with CD changer.

So given that a Nexus 7 isn't going to drive the speakers without an amp, and that I really didn't want this to get complex in terms of re-wiring the stereo system, what options do I have.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Hi,

You have a number of options, each with it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Retrofit all the oem modules but with the widescreen monitor, Mk4 DVD based GPS computer, oem bluetooth, add an iPod interface and accessibility to the car's onboard computerized functions via the excellent Intravee 2 unit. Advantages are all the oem looks and full access to the OBC, disadvantages are very expensive, old 11-15 year old modules with the higher risk of failures, outdated technology, potentially limited bluetooth connectivity and oem levels of sound quality.

Fit a premium brand, high quality aftermarket head unit, either single or Double DIN. Advantages are a new current technology unit, all the latest features and functionality, better sound quality, excellent value for money. Disadvantages are not 100% oem looks in the dash, no full access to the car's OBC.

Fit a low(er) quality cheap chinese replacement head unit. Advantages are that it'll physically fit into the dash aperture and provides a psuedo oem'ish sort of look and that's about it really. Everything else about them is low grade and quality, often with reliability issues, potential features not working out of the box or cease working fully or are intermittent over time. The 'best' choice out of these type of unit's in the UK is the Andrive unit which has full warranty and support from the company in case of issues, a better quality unit compared to the other branded and unbranded unit's out there and some exclusive functionality as it's essentially more of a car pc wrapped up in an E39 sized chassis.

For me, the best option is the premium brand head unit option - you get a quality unit for your car from a recognised and reputable brand. I've mentioned it previously here on m5board, in my E39 Touring, I have the Parrot Asteroid Smart unit and the writeup for it is here;

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...allow-depth-double-din-android-head-unit.html

I'm sure other's will perhaps add their feedback as to your choices too!

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
There was a review of installing nexus 7 on this board not very long ago.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
How about installing a small 4 channel amp behind the dash or glovebox? This one is tiny Clarion XC1410.

There's a 'mini amp' shown in this post, the thread is worth a read too.

Are you planning on using a DAC and Timur's kernel?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've solved the problem by using kit from RCJoyCon. Specifically his Mixer, Amp and Steering Wheel Control Module.

The whole thing will sit comfortably in the space left by the OEM kit. I bagged a bezel off the Bay and modded it to take the Nexus (good fun with ABS sludge and lots of sanding)

The RCJoyCon Amp will power the four speakers and also feed a signal to a separate amp in the boot/trunk to power two subs I have lying around.

I will be using Timur's kernel and have already spoken to him a few times.

I've picked up a couple of spare steering wheel controls off the Bay so once the amp arrives today I should be pretty much ready to mock it all up and test it. It'll be next week before I get to test fit it all in the M5 as she's in the workshop having poly bushes fitted to the rear swing arms (the big 'H' arms for clarity).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts