BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to write this up so no one would be pulling their hair out like I was yesterday with wanting to keep the project going but couldn't because I wasn't sure how something came off and I didn't wanna break it.

Now, for the trim that is on the dash.. The long piece of trim just pops right out. Get a plastic putty knife or something you can pry with without scratching or damaging the trim or the interior of the car. Pry it from one side to the other and it will slowly come out. Disconnect the harness that plugs into the ventilation vents and there is a t20 torx screw that holds it onto the trim. Take that out then you can take a screw driver and pry the clips that hold the unit to the trim, same for the passenger side one.

The headlight switch one... This one was driving me nuts because someone on here just told me to pull on the headlight switch.. By telling me that im thinking the knob for the headlights.. NO. The entire trim which the headlight switch is mounted on. Again. take something you can pry with that wont damage anything and pry the whole headlight housing/trim from the dash of the car. Start from underneath this way if you scratch something it wont be visible.. Once that comes off you will see the the two Phillips head screws. Take those out and then gently pull the trim with the vent housing out.

The center console with the Idrive knob.
With two hands pull up on the shifter it on there so your going to really have to pull on it. Same for the i drive know get your finger around it and pull. If you pulled too hard and took the shifter off with the trim around it then you don't need to take that off. However if you didn't take the trim off too and disconnect the connectors underneath the simply pull out with your nails. Now you will see two t20 screws under there take those out. The ashtray cup that comes out when you press on it. Take that out. Now pry the back section of the trim towards the back of the car upwards. Its got the same daggers that the long trim on the dash has. Once the trim is free in the back its going to be hooked under the center console, once hand pull the other one push down in the front and WALA its out.

The door cards were a PITA...

The front ones...
Ok they have two screws, one that is hidden behind the airbag tag and that a T30 torx. Another is hidden behind the round plug towards the hinges of the door and thats a philips head. Once those are off you will have to take your putty knife and place it on the bottom corner towards the b pillar and pry. It will pop, once you do that you can get your fingers under there and gently pull all around it till you get to the top. Once you get to the top. Start pulling on one side towards the b pillar and work you way across. Once you do that.. and the door card if free all around from any clips but seems like its being held up by something else in the middle it is.. Grab the top of the door card and gently pull up. Its a sliding clip. Now your done and the door card is off. This last clip slides onto the door card and then clips back onto the actual door so you will have to take off the black plastic housing thats on the door and put it back onto the door card so you can snap it in later. OK so now that the door card is off you will need a 7mm and a 10mm socket to take off the door handle. Take those nuts out. If you are tryin to take off the the 7mm nuts and they keep spinning and dont seem like they are coming out that probably because the studs that are bolted to the door handle are broken. Forget about that one and get as many as you can off. Once you get all the ones you can off gently pry the trim away from the door and then pull the handle up to get it out. If those studs are still on there and didnt come off then take a pair of pliers and hold one side and then unscrew the other side with your 7mm socket. JB weld these back on trust me it will work a lot better and save you the frustration next time or to the person that will be doing this. Few of mine were already broken from the previous owner probably trying to pry them so thats what i did to solve the problem and it worked perfect. Dont even wanna know how much that trim piece is at the dealer..

SEPARATING THE INTERIOR TRIM FROM THE DOOR HANDLE
Dont pry it off! it slides.. the black part of the handle slides down try to pull it down if it dont pull down tap it slightly with a hammer and it will slide.. Same for putting it back on slide in and tap to make it sit right

The Rears are Harder then the Fronts.. This is definitely because i have those sun shades in the back

Two philips head screw on the door card behind the plugs. One on the bottom and one at the seam of the door and the car. Now pry the door card off the door same concept as the front. Except.. yea there's a catch. The piece that separates the big window from the small window bind the door card to the door so you will have to take this off first. Take a screw driver or something and get it in between this piece and the weather stripping for the window and prying inwards toward the car. Once you have that off get the door card loose all around like the front and pull up ( same black clip like the front and the same thing will need to be done to put it back onto the car). disconnecting the wires to the connectors and even the door pull will make your like alot easier so do that. WAIT the little light that on the top by the door handle dont disconnect it from the door card but from the door where you see it plugs into. It was a nightmare trying to get that back in with the metal bracket in place and my shreck fingers lol. The only one i left connected to the door card was the lowest wire that seems to be going into the door card. Didn't wanna bother with that since i had enough slack

Now that you have the door card off.. This is instructions for the door card with the sun shade if you dont have those skip this step.

Remove the sun shade roller because you will not be able to access the top 7mm nut for the trim on the top. In order to take this off you will need to take off those shiny t20 Torx screws going along the edge of the roller. The there is some more t20 black head screw that are screwed in vertical, take those out. Once those all come out there is a brass looking 8mm hex screw on the side towards the b pillar going in horizontal. Take that one out and you should be able to slide the whole assembly off the door car. Make sure that when you put it back onto the door card the side that slides onto the door card is on right in other words in the notches on the door card or else your going to be doing all this again and your roller wont work right.. Yea something that set me back an hour but i took everything back apart and put it back together.

The trim.. Two 10mm screws one on top one on bottom like the front and two 7mm screws on the top. Take those out and pull up wards. Now that you have it out slide the black handle off the trim like mentioned above and you have all your trim off. Now to put it all back together follow the steps back wards :M5thumbs:

I dont think I missed anything but if any of you have questions feel free to PM me and I will try my best to help you out. Hope this helps alot of you out and doesn't put you in the situation I was in last night at 12am :M5launch:

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Pics or we won't feel your pain! LOL

Reactions: thompsponw

·
Registered
343 Posts
Now, for the trim that is on the dash.. The long piece of trim just pops right out. Get a plastic putty knife or something you can pry with without scratching or damaging the trim or the interior of the car. Pry it from one side to the other and it will slowly come out. Disconnect the harness that plugs into the ventilation vents and there is a t20 torx screw that holds it onto the trim. Take that out then you can take a screw driver and pry the clips that hold the unit to the trim, same for the passenger side one.
Can you post a picture of the long dash trim from the back side where it clips in under the nav screen? I think I am missing a clip and I need to see what clip to order. Thanks and great write up by the way.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there are 4 spikes that are mounted on the trim piece and slide into the holes on the dash, on the dash there is also 4 white clips that are taken out by twisting them clockwise/counterclockwise. Is you trim piece not sitting flush? if so the white piece is broken

1 - 4 of 4 Posts