BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys - didn't need to do a search - I probably started and replied to a lot of threads on this very annoying subject.

OK, 1 month ago, replaced the front rotors - followed the brake in bedding to the letter from the Zeckhausen Brake site.

Did not fix it.

Yesterday, checked to see when the last time the thrust arm bushings were done - about 80,000 miles ago - installed the X5 bushings THEN - figured after looking at them - very slight tears visable in one - replaced with X5 bushings again.

Still have it.

Car has 234,000 miles - what is causing this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Which way around are the bushes fitted ?

Did you get new Thrust arms with ball joints or did you just press the new X5 bushes into your old arms with old ball joints ?

Do you have nice bluey layer all the way around your discs where the pads would contact them ?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which way around are the bushes fitted ?

Did you get new Thrust arms with ball joints or did you just press the new X5 bushes into your old arms with old ball joints ?

Do you have nice bluey layer all the way around your discs where the pads would contact them ?

Cheers
Just pressed in the bushings into the old arms but, the arms had been replaced before at the same time the last bushings were done (80,000 miles ago)

As far as the brakes - yes, a good blue layer all the way around.

Ball joints never done but, not loose at all.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Control Arms and its bush, Steering Tie Rods and Centre drag Link good too I imagine ?

Top Mounts ?

Basically the wheel hub, as you know, is connected to the car via the damper (hence top mounts), control arm, thrust arm and steering tie rod. That has to be wear the failure is, subject to good brake discs etc. If your steering wasnt wobbling, but the car, then I would start looking at the rear axle suspension.

Does your steering feel tight when cornering etc ?

Remember 80,000 miles is 3 times around the world at the equator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another point is to be careful when pressing in the bushings so as to not to allow the fluid to escape from within the bushing (don't ask me how I know this). If the fluid leaks the bushings will be as sloppy or worse than the old ones. Given that pressing these in using a home garage array of tools is an utter pain, I didn't want to do it again. I opted for the Powerflex polyurethane bushings. I read all the postings on the likes and dislikes of these bushings, but I have found them to be just fine. I've had them in for a year with no problems and have tracked the car twice (HPDE). They're a breeze to install too.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would be looking at the following:

Wheel bearings
Steering linkage (tie rods, center link, pitman, steering box, etc).
Strut mounts

Try lifting the front of the car so that the front wheel is a couple of inches off of the ground. Use a long (4ft) prybar under the tire and lever the wheel assembly up and down and look for play in the initial movement. Have a friend watch the back side of the wheel and see if the source of the play can be located.

In a lot of cases a ball joint will feel fine when moved by hand, but once you put the weight of the car on it will exhibit a tiny bit of play... enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
What type of rotors do you have?
I had Centric's with Axxis pads and had brake judder all the time with them. Bedding was a slight and very temp. fix. I think it's BS that you even have to bed brakes in the first place but whatever. I'm back to all stock rotors and pads.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What type of rotors do you have?
I had Centric's with Axxis pads and had brake judder all the time with them. Bedding was a slight and very temp. fix. I think it's BS that you even have to bed brakes in the first place but whatever. I'm back to all stock rotors and pads.
All stock rotors and pads.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Had that problem also,the lower control arms fixed it.Worn bushes in there and the wheel moves back and forth like with worn thrust arms.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had that problem also,the lower control arms fixed it.Worn bushes in there and the wheel moves back and forth like with worn thrust arms.
Vantaa - I hear ya but the lower control arms feel solid - even after 234,000 miles - get them changed?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guys - didn't need to do a search - I probably started and replied to a lot of threads on this very annoying subject.

OK, 1 month ago, replaced the front rotors - followed the brake in bedding to the letter from the Zeckhausen Brake site.

Did not fix it.

Yesterday, checked to see when the last time the thrust arm bushings were done - about 80,000 miles ago - installed the X5 bushings THEN - figured after looking at them - very slight tears visable in one - replaced with X5 bushings again.

Still have it.

Car has 234,000 miles - what is causing this???

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Did you ever get to the bottom of this because I havent on mine?

·
Registered
624 Posts
If not thrust arms and rotors, i'd focus on the control arms - the thin ones perpendicular to the engine. My ball joints wore out on those and it vibrated to high heaven.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had forgotten about this thread - had responded (hijacked:rolleyes:) another one on the same issue.

Anyway, what was causing mine was a bad caliper - once this was changed, the problem was 90% fixed. What happened then was that after I changed the calipers, I only machined the rotors and the wobble returned but just very slightly.

So, I THEN replaced both the entire thrust rods as well as the lower control arms and tie rod ends - still a very slight wobble. Wanted to shoot myself:mad:

I then replaced the front rotors last week (I was determined) and all good....so far.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Same symptoms. Only wobbles when braking more than a 1/3 of pedal depress and over 40MPH. Feeling it in steering wheel. Its in the shop now, having them look @ bushings and they have powerflex in stock.

Will report back.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had discs replaced under warranty, pads are good, I have powerflex brake reaction bushes fitted, thrust bushes are good and so are tie rods ends. Its been to 2 or 3 garages and they cant through any light on it.

I dont think the calipers are sticking but I have been told the centre drag needs replacing but the steering feels good to me and I can feel the shudder through the pedal too. Could this really be the cause? Its an expensive route if it doesnt cure it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2 penneth.

I had the exact same symtoms. I am 100% the vibrating is casued by the brakes, which is then amplified by worn bushes.

I changed my thrust bushes for powerflex and the issue is all but resolved, but i can still feel a tiny amount of wobble casued by i presuime pad deposits on the disc. When I pressed my old bushes out they looked brand new, no tears and very clean. Looks can be deceptive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks Olly, I think that will probably be the next step and as you say a visual inspection by a mechanic is probably not enough. Its a right royal pain in the arse thats for sure and spoils my enjoyment when Im on a hoon :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
it did for me too.

I got to the stage where I had the trust arm in my hand and thought 'these are f**king brand new! I'm just going to put them back on and flog the powerflex!'

Glad I didn't!:hihihi:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts