BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to source a newer style steering wheel and airbag, and had a go at changing my older 99/00 style one for the newer style.

Pretty much a direct replacement, although the new airbag module required a new wiring adapter (slipring) to wire up the horn,multi-function buttons to the newer steering wheel.

Makes a big difference imho and the feel is so much more nicer,(kinda more sporty too :haha: )

a couple of pics.. :typing:

·
10,455 Posts
very nice Tin! So you need the slip ring for the 01 and later wheel? I've been considering this mod.
Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
I believe if your car is built from 3/99 to 9/99, you need a new slip ring. If its built after 9/99 then you dont need a new slip ring.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Very nice! In case I ever want to do the same, where did you source your new steering wheel and wiring adapter?

Mike

·
Registered
661 Posts
Did the '99 car have single or dual stage airbag? I heard that older BMW had single stage and are not compatible with dual stage airbag of the newer cars. You guys might want to check this out. You don't want to get into an accident and the airbag not function for you.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
mottati said:
very nice Tin! So you need the slip ring for the 01 and later wheel? I've been considering this mod.
Mike
Yes, you'll need the slip ring to connect up

1. The existing multi-function controls.. ie radio/cd controls/cruise control
2. To the 2 stage newer airbag module. has green and black connectors
3. To the horn,as the older style wheel has the horn builtin to the rear of the airbag module, whilst the newer style has it builtin to the steering wheel (the big metal bracket in the pic).

baf3472 said:
I believe if your car is built from 3/99 to 9/99, you need a new slip ring. If its built after 9/99 then you dont need a new slip ring.
baf3472 is correct.. my car is a july99 build.. easiest way to see if this will work, is to see if your old wheel has the red and blue sitching..

Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Very nice! In case I ever want to do the same, where did you source your new steering wheel and wiring adapter?
Mike
Ridgeback_Pilot: After losing a few auctions on ebay.co.uk :M5thumbs: I decided to source the bits from some reputable salvage places... [email protected]www.hills-motors.co.uk had just had a E46 M3 that had been rear-ended :sad2: The good thing with this mod is that you can sell your old wheel back on ebay, and re-coupe some of the costs!

tannad said:
Interested in this mod as well.

Items needed:
MY01+ M5 wheel
Slip ring
Wiring adapter

Is this correct? Any chance you have model numbers handy?
tannad: Yes the bits you require are :
1. 2001+ steering wheel
2. 2001+ airbag
3. slipring wiring adapter... (as pic'd). You may get the slipring as part of the steering wheel, its around £13inc vat from the bmw dealer (circ $20)
didn't note down the part codes, but you can easily find them from here www.realoem.com.. the round type airbags are all mostly the same.. there is a difference in steering wheels though, make sure is the ///M version, as its thicker :typing:

Oh, forgot to say... 1st step to changing the wheel, is to totally disconnect your car battery before commencing!!! otherwise you will most likely get an airbag warning light, which the dealer can reset for an additionaly charge..

Tin

·
Registered
616 Posts
Great mod - Congrats...!

The wheel makes a big diff - its a lot more chunkier to start with...

I believe this is a first - like many things on your car....:hihi:

·
Registered
29 Posts
For those of you who are interested, I happen to have a steering wheel in great shape that I took off my 2002 M5. Make me an offer off the list that I can't refuse and it's yours. I can send pictures if you like.

Regards,

Andrew Skopp

·
Registered
616 Posts
askopp said:
For those of you who are interested, I happen to have a steering wheel in great shape that I took off my 2002 M5. Make me an offer off the list that I can't refuse and it's yours. I can send pictures if you like.

Regards,

Andrew Skopp
What did you replace your wheel with? :confused:

·
Registered
148 Posts
askopp said:

Regards,

Andrew Skopp
PM sent.

·
Registered
287 Posts
One more thing, Dont be frusterated with finding the right number for the airbag. Any round airbag that size will work. BMW has several airbags that are exactly the same but with different part numbers. Whether it came off of an X5 or an M5, the airbag will work. Remember if your car was built after 9/99, then you wont need the slip ring. Just a new airbag and steering wheel.

·
10,455 Posts
askopp said:
Same thing in alacantra.
That's the wheel i'd like to use. How long have you had it, any wear issues?
I asked my friend at my local dealer parts dept about it, he talked me out of it as they have replaced dozens of 330zhp wheels due to alcantara wear.
Thanks for any info.
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had it for about a month, feels great. I'd heard about the "wear" concern. So far so good for mine, but we'll see in a year or so.

Andrew

·
Registered
205 Posts
baf3472 said:
One more thing, Dont be frustrated with finding the right number for the airbag. Any round airbag that size will work. BMW has several airbags that are exactly the same but with different part numbers. Whether it came off of an X5 or an M5, the airbag will work. Remember if your car was built after 9/99, then you wont need the slip ring. Just a new airbag and steering wheel.
Does anyone know whether the round airbag from a post-'00 3-Series will work in the new-style M5 steering wheel?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Thanks! How about this one? I assume it would work?

Mike
That one should work fine, I purchased a similar one on eBay two weeks ago and will be installing it this week as soon as my steering wheel arrives. I was told by many all the round airbags from the 3 and 5 series are identical except for part numbers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
AmirBimmer said:
That one should work fine, I purchased a similar one on eBay two weeks ago and will be installing it this week as soon as my steering wheel arrives. I was told by many all the round airbags from the 3 and 5 series are identical except for part numbers.
Great, thanks! Let us know how your installation goes. Any hints or tips you can share would be most appreciated.

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts