BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done a few searches on this but I'm a little confused and was hoping anyone who has completed this can help me out and let me know if it is in fact possible.

I have a 2000 M5 (02/00 Build Date) with the older style M 3 spoke wheel with the larger airbag. I would like to upgrade to the 2001+ newer style M 3 spoke wheel with the smaller circlular airbag.

Has anyone completed this successfully?

Are the steering wheel (32-34-2-282-020) and airbag (32-30-6-757-891) in the e46 M3 the same parts from the 2001+ M5? And if all this is possible would I need to know anything else to complete this?

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Thats a very good question, however i believe it is possible. The whole kit has to be replaced including the airbag which is quite expensive.

There is something very unusual i have noticed, and would like to have a question answered if possible please.

I have a 1999 Euro M5. I hope motst of you know how a 99 or 00 model Euro M5 steering wheel looks like? What i found quite interesting was when i examined a US spec 00 model M5.

To be precise, abdulla's car is a 00 model US M5 which has the same steering wheel as mine.... BUT...

His steering wheel has a smaller diameter and the grip is thicker. It looks exactly like mine, ( same layout and buttno asembley ) however, the size is smaller and the handle is thicker.

The question is... can I fit his steering wheel on my car? I dont like the 01 model steering wheels, but i would definitely go for teh 00 model US spec steering wheels!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ahmed said:
Thats a very good question, however i believe it is possible. The whole kit has to be replaced including the airbag which is quite expensive.

There is something very unusual i have noticed, and would like to have a question answered if possible please.

I have a 1999 Euro M5. I hope motst of you know how a 99 or 00 model Euro M5 steering wheel looks like? What i found quite interesting was when i examined a US spec 00 model M5.

To be precise, abdulla's car is a 00 model US M5 which has the same steering wheel as mine.... BUT...

His steering wheel has a smaller diameter and the grip is thicker. It looks exactly like mine, ( same layout and buttno asembley ) however, the size is smaller and the handle is thicker.

The question is... can I fit his steering wheel on my car? I dont like the 01 model steering wheels, but i would definitely go for teh 00 model US spec steering wheels!
Ahmed:

Ask and you shall receive......... yes the wheel is a direct bolt on and all the buttons will operate as OEM

Shadowman

·
Registered
784 Posts
AmirBimmer said:
I've done a few searches on this but I'm a little confused and was hoping anyone who has completed this can help me out and let me know if it is in fact possible.

I have a 2000 M5 (02/00 Build Date) with the older style M 3 spoke wheel with the larger airbag. I would like to upgrade to the 2001+ newer style M 3 spoke wheel with the smaller circlular airbag.

Has anyone completed this successfully?

Are the steering wheel (32-34-2-282-020) and airbag (32-30-6-757-891) in the e46 M3 the same parts from the 2001+ M5? And if all this is possible would I need to know anything else to complete this?
Yes they are the same wheel and completely interchangeable. Nothing else is required except for the multi function wheel and the air bag.....the part numbers you mentioned are correct. The E46 also has a second steering wheel option just for the SMG version.

Have fun

Shadowman

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shadowman said:
Yes they are the same wheel and completely interchangeable. Nothing else is required except for the multi function wheel and the air bag.....the part numbers you mentioned are correct. The E46 also has a second steering wheel option just for the SMG version.

Have fun

Shadowman
Great!! Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Only one thing to keep in Mind. For the euro guys that have 99 models, If your car is built before 3/99, then you cant upgrade because you have a single stage airbag and the newer steering wheel uses a 2 stage. I have a 10/99 build and ive swapped out the steering wheel for the 01+ version. Any of the round airbags can be used. BMW has several numbers for the airbags but theyre all the same so wether its made for a X5 or M3, it will fit in the car.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
baf3472 said:
Only one thing to keep in Mind. For the euro guys that have 99 models, If your car is built before 3/99, then you cant upgrade because you have a single stage airbag and the newer steering wheel uses a 2 stage. I have a 10/99 build and ive swapped out the steering wheel for the 01+ version. Any of the round airbags can be used. BMW has several numbers for the airbags but theyre all the same so wether its made for a X5 or M3, it will fit in the car.
phew!

mine is a 3/99 model!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts

Just a reminder of how my steering wheel looks. Why dont u take a snap of yours and then compare on here ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts