BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 m5 and as you all now the steering wheel isnt like the newer models. First off, i once took it off and i took apart the slip ring, i guess i put it back together wrong and the wire cracked one cold morning as i was turning the wheel, so my buttons do not light up and my horn isnt working. Where can i buy the slip ring, is it easy to change??

No before you answer that i am looking to buy the newer model steering wheel, aka 2001 + e39 m5, e46 m3... will i need a different slip ring for these steering wheels or i can use the one i would have originaly. Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey, I saw your post and since I am having a problem with my steering wheel, I thought I would ask you a question. I have a 2002 and the horn keeps getting stuck on, and when I turn the wheels something is loose and moves around. I need to take the steering wheel off. Should I worry about the air bag going off when I remove it. I know we have a different wheel, someone told me that my slip ring might be broken and the loose piece is getting stuck and cause the horn to get jammed on. Any Idea, should I remove it my self? I appreciate your help. Thanks

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, I saw your post and since I am having a problem with my steering wheel, I thought I would ask you a question. I have a 2002 and the horn keeps getting stuck on, and when I turn the wheels something is loose and moves around. I need to take the steering wheel off. Should I worry about the air bag going off when I remove it. I know we have a different wheel, someone told me that my slip ring might be broken and the loose piece is getting stuck and cause the horn to get jammed on. Any Idea, should I remove it my self? I appreciate your help. Thanks
OK well from my knowledge and what i know it can be 2 things, a. the airbag just isnt screwed into the steering wheel all the way(does it like play around as if its loose) or b. Something on the inside mightnot be tighted but not sure what ormayube something is broken, to find out you would have to take your steering wheel off. You air baf will not go off if you discnect the battery, so before you start this... make sure you battery is disconected either from neg. or positive, dont necesarly have to disconect both. Hope this helps

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, it definitely sounds as something is loose you can hear it rolling around. How should I go about disconnecting the battery exactly. Thanks for getting back so soon.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In your trunk under the cover sits your battery, there is a square whole and you see the connection, just unscrew that and make sure they both do not touch while your working on your steering wheel.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Seems to be a common problem, here you go:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51450

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a 2000 m5 and as you all now the steering wheel isnt like the newer models. First off, i once took it off and i took apart the slip ring, i guess i put it back together wrong and the wire cracked one cold morning as i was turning the wheel, so my buttons do not light up and my horn isnt working. Where can i buy the slip ring, is it easy to change??

No before you answer that i am looking to buy the newer model steering wheel, aka 2001 + e39 m5, e46 m3... will i need a different slip ring for these steering wheels or i can use the one i would have originaly. Thanks
there is no slip ring on the steering wheel itself on 03/99 and new E39s... it is on the steering column.

the 01 + steering wheel should be a direct plug-and-play on MY00 M5s. I have an 00 M5 and I installed the newer steering wheel... looks soooooo much better.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
there is no slip ring on the steering wheel itself on 03/99 and new E39s... it is on the steering column.

the 01 + steering wheel should be a direct plug-and-play on MY00 M5s. I have an 00 M5 and I installed the newer steering wheel... looks soooooo much better.
so it was just a direct fit... even the wiring was plug and play??

slip ring is on the column?? so how do i change it?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had to replace the slip ring on my car (2001), same thing as you said, buttons stopped working including the back lighting.

I bought a new slip ring from my local dealer, wasn't very expensive and I fitted it in about 30 minutes easy.

Before you disconnect the battery make sure your steering wheel is fully in the down position and all the way out - give much better access to some of the screws.

I will have a look for the part number and get back to you,

Richie.

·
Registered
936 Posts
You're welcome.

I believe it is - a number of members here have done the retrofit.

I believe it is plug and play!

Do you have the new wheel?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
unfortunately not yet... i dont want to pay $1000 for one... but im shopping around for one and saw them go for very good prices before just never really was in the market for one until now....

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the link... BUt before i move forward i wanted to make sure i can still use the same slip ring as the one on my m5... year 2000... will it be the same i will need to use for the 2001..2003..steering wheel??? plug and play?

·
Registered
851 Posts
thanks for the link... BUt before i move forward i wanted to make sure i can still use the same slip ring as the one on my m5... year 2000... will it be the same i will need to use for the 2001..2003..steering wheel??? plug and play?
thought I answered this already...

YES, it is plug and play and the plugs are exactly the same for any 03/99 and up E39, E46, E53, and probably many others. should be just two plugs; one for airbag and one for multifunction buttons.

NO, you don't have to buy a different slip ring for the new steering wheel to work.

Don't buy a new slip ring just yet, your current slip ring may NOT be broken. I would remove your airbag off again and recheck the wiring (and grounding) from your multifunction panel again.

BTW: if you are going from 00 M5 steering wheel to 01+ steering wheel, you will need to buy the round style airbag also as your old one will not fit new steering wheel.

Here is one for sale from a member here. It is complete with steering wheel and airbag and looks to be in excellent condition:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=110166

1 - 18 of 18 Posts