BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to have the 2001 up M5 steering wheel on the 2000 model?

I had a 2002 M3 (I think it is the same steering wheel as the 2001 M5 model) and it seems a lot better and thicker than the 2000 M5 steering wheel.

Any tips on the matter? I`ve searched e-bay and there are some there...

·
Registered
287 Posts
M5Brazil said:
Is it possible to have the 2001 up M5 steering wheel on the 2000 model?

I had a 2002 M3 (I think it is the same steering wheel as the 2001 M5 model) and it seems a lot better and thicker than the 2000 M5 steering wheel.

Any tips on the matter? I`ve searched e-bay and there are some there...
It can be done as long as your car is built after 3/99. Ive done and so have several board members. The airbag is the same and so is the steering wheel for the M5, M3 and X5. Dont be thrown off by BMW p/n. Same part different numbers.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I did this upgrade back in Febuary, it was very straightforward. I did some research on it and consolidated all the relevant info I found into this post:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50883

There's also the info I found on changing my dash to the sleeker euro dash. Hope this helps out some.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys!

I'll be looking into it and keeping you posted when replacement is done.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hey guys!!! My car production date is 06/1999 and I found New M3 steerring wheel for sale, $350 without airbag!!!

Do you think is will work on my beast and my old airbag will fit new wheel???

Do I need to get some kind of adapter for NEW wheel???

Thanks...

·
Registered
287 Posts
m5 rus said:
Hey guys!!! My car production date is 06/1999 and I found New M3 steerring wheel for sale, $350 without airbag!!!

Do you think is will work on my beast and my old airbag will fit new wheel???

Do I need to get some kind of adapter for NEW wheel???

Thanks...
The old airbag wont work. Youll need to get a new airbag and also a new slip ring. If your car is produced from 3/99 to 9/99, you need to purchase a new airbag, steering wheel and slip ring for the conversion. If its produced after 9/99, then all you need is the new airbag and steering wheel.

·
Registered
784 Posts
m5 rus said:
Is new airbag expensive???
As i recall they sell for approx. $400.00 new however on the used market I have seen them for much less.

The swap out is very easy with only basic tools required......... please disconnect the battery for safety reasons during the swap and then once completed you will have to have the air bag light reset by the dealer with a GT1 or ??? also very easy and the dealers I deal with would not charge to do this....

It is a very nice improvement

Shadowman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts