BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My SLS delete appears to have a weep so I figured why not go through system. I am in process of flushing steering revs and can't believe how dirty the fluid was.

Can you buy the lid gasket separate??

Anybody have a diagram that shows entire system at once, Real Oem's is chopped up. Does Reservoir feed both Brake and SLS?? Does it have a fail safe system for brake power back up using the hyd pressure of steering? 1991 US version.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My SLS delete appears to have a weep so I figured why not go through system. I am in process of flushing steering revs and can't believe how dirty the fluid was.

Can you buy the lid gasket separate??

Anybody have a diagram that shows entire system at once, Real Oem's is chopped up. Does Reservoir feed both Brake and SLS?? Does it have a fail safe system for brake power back up using the hyd pressure of steering? 1991 US version.
RealOEM.com   BMW E34 M5 3.6 OIL CARRIER LEVELLING DEVICE/SINGL.PARTS
Only one type lid gasket available, and it did not fit mine.

Brake has nothing to do with this system.

Replace filter also when flushing system.

·
10,457 Posts
yes you can replace the lid gasket. I did on my cars, filter too as mentioned. The brake fluid reservoir is back on the firewall. No communication between the two systems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No confusion with brake master and reservoir. I know some BMW'S use steering pump pressure to be backup in case engine stalls to have power assist to brakes. My M5 manual says to pump brakes to check steering reservoir. There would be a line to the ABS I believe if it was confg'd as such.

I have not looked and was curious. Thanks as I did not know lid gasket was avail. Filter is out of a E28 correct or is that also avail for M5?

Thanks

·
10,457 Posts
the e34 m5 uses a vacuum assist/reservoir. I know my 750 had the hydroboost, as did e28s', and you needed to pump brakes to discharge. Im pretty sure that's not the case on the e34, since it has vac assist, rather than hydroboost.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
No confusion with brake master and reservoir. I know some BMW'S use steering pump pressure to be backup in case engine stalls to have power assist to brakes. My M5 manual says to pump brakes to check steering reservoir. There would be a line to the ABS I believe if it was confg'd as such.

I have not looked and was curious. Thanks as I did not know lid gasket was avail. Filter is out of a E28 correct or is that also avail for M5?

Thanks
So you have e28, not e34?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL, I am making this more confusing then it is.

I was told to use an E28 filter ? as the E34 only sold as canister assay as shown on Real Oem.

I am not near car and looked at manual that came with car and under checking PS it said to pump brakes so I assumed they were using the pressure to feed the ABS or??? as a back up. Then I can be completely wrong as I do not have car to look at was just asking as Real Oem does not show system being like that and also did not show canister parts avail separate.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts