BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is noise from the right rear that only happens on right turns due to needing to change differential oil ? Or is it sometimes the wheel bearing?

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
118 Posts
yeah, that is the whole catch. breaking them free. need to have the room to get the proper tool in there. My preference is a 3' breaker bar or 1/2" Milwaukee impact (battery powered)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is noise from the right rear that only happens on right turns due to needing to change differential oil ? Or is it sometimes the wheel bearing?
There is a TIS write up on the diff making noise. basically switch to a different type of oil.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Right rear is not diff.
True that! But that is where is sounds like it is coming from. I had it happen to me recently. occurred from car sitting so long. but deffinitely, it could be something different.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Alright, you guys talked me in to it. New Bilstein B6's will be here next week, with new mounting hardware. If I'm going this far, might as well do it properly.

I'm still a little worried about the expansion hose(#9) that I think bent a little too much when I was lowering the subframe, at the joint where the rubber tubing connects to the compression (near part "13"). Thought I had everything out of the way but the way this line is snaked through, I wasn't able to see it until it was bent pretty good. That's going to be a huge pain in the *** to fish it over to the pump if I replace it.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are you doing the Bilstiens with EDC?

·
Registered
118 Posts
cool, been wondering how these perform compared to what factory puts on. Love my B8's on my E60. They are perfect for it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Everyone who goes that way seems to be pretty happy. But the entire front end is probably going to be night and day different with all the other new hardware, too.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Everyone who goes that way seems to be pretty happy. But the entire front end is probably going to be night and day different with all the other new hardware, too.
Ya, you're gonna want to tackle that rear end when your done. I started with my rear, rather than front. My car was handling fine, but after doing the rear, I noticed a pretty good improvement and got hooked.

As far as that hose/pipe you are concerned about, seems to me you should replace it while you can. getting to it once you have everything else put together after the fact may be impossible.

These cars are cheap to buy, not cheap to fix!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The only thing not new in the rear are subframe bushings and rear shocks. Diff even got serviced last year and again a few weeks ago. Those new diff bushings made a world of difference. The engine mounts as part of the front subframe / steering work were the last steps towards tightening up the entire driveline. It's gonna be solid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm seeing remanufactured units are anywhere from $800-$1300 depending on which new ingredients you go for. Not prohibitively expensive I suppose, but still just adds to the bill.
Don’t mean to thread jack. Coming over from Bimmerfest and I am in need of reman. Steering rack. This thread was suggested to me by someone. Having no luck finding one if possible can anyone point me in the right direction. I have a E60 N62 with active steering. Rack has a major leak with fluid pouring out where the tie rod boot is. All help is appreciated. P/N is 32106777494. Not sure what other parts are interchangeable with that rack.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Good time for me to follow up, too, isn't it? :)

Found a local place to rebuild it. Sounds like they had to make some dies and clips but they were able to find a seal kit for it. Should be picking it up tomorrow. $480 was the quoted price. Getting ready to put everything back together shortly.

Maybe you have a local place that can do the same? The place I'm using is called Benchwork Steering Systems out of Scottsdale, AZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good time for me to follow up, too, isn't it? :)

Found a local place to rebuild it. Sounds like they had to make some dies and clips but they were able to find a seal kit for it. Should be picking it up tomorrow. $480 was the quoted price. Getting ready to put everything back together shortly.

Maybe you have a local place that can do the same? The place I'm using is called Benchwork Steering Systems out of Scottsdale, AZ.
I've been trying to find places haven't had any luck just yet. The shop that you used do you happen to know if they replace any of the sensors or is it strictly a seal rebuild?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Seals, polish, circlips and retaining rings, and a bench test. iirc there's only one sensor actually on the rack, and it's external. You'll have to check realoem for more info. This is how my work usually goes. Really have no idea what I'm doing so I sit there with a flashlight and a notepad, peruse forums like this, ask questions, get an exploded view and parts diagrams using realoem, and just go for it. Of course this not being my daily driver, and having basically an unlimited disposable income being single lol allows me these opportunities.

·
Registered
118 Posts
r, and having basically an unlimited disposable income being single lol allows me these opportunities.
LOL - Dan, that will change once all the babes seeing you driving this beast! Smytty - I've been looking along with you on where to get rebuilds, and I'm noticing a lack of people or websites mentioning they have ones with active steering. is that your issue?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Haha. Yes, well, that's why this current work has been going on 8 weeks instead of just two weekends lol

I know how dumb this is going to sound but, I don't know. None of the hardware matches up with the pictures of what either Dynamic or Active steering. So I'm not sure. I don't know if there's a hard-and-fast way to tell which steering I have. Looking up the VIN doesn't say anything about the feature, either. Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in and give me a clue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOL - Dan, that will change once all the babes seeing you driving this beast! Smytty - I've been looking along with you on where to get rebuilds, and I'm noticing a lack of people or websites mentioning they have ones with active steering. is that your issue?
That is correct. I called the place Dan is having his rebuilt I would just have to send it to them. Also found a local place but he is unsure if he has the correct rack, he needs it out to be sure. It has to come out either way so gathering up my notes to get it done. One other option is a used rack Ive sourced that from an old thread but the warranty on that is short. Rebuilt and used is about the same price Im just worried about the sensors on the rack in either case I had an issue with the angle sensor prior to it failing but that could have been from a broken mechanical component before it got worse. Looking at real oem I cant be sure that there is only 1 sensor on that rack and that it is indeed external.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Cool! Hope my guys were helpful. I understood that they had to make some dies and presses, I guess this kind of work is a little bit custom because the manufacturers don't provide much in the way of specs or replacement parts etc. I haven't been in a hurry to get it back, might call them today and see where they're at. They said it should be done today but we'll see.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts