BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I know they dont disclose the M5 as having active steering like on the other E60 models but this steering feels damn identical to my 2004 545 sport. Now on my older 545 sport I would always get a clunk when turning over a bumpy surface and if i took the wheel and turned it left/right back and forth it would clunk. 4 steering racks were replaced in 7 months.

Now one thing I feel is the rack on the M5 doesnt seem sturdy it feels strained and I hear the clunk and feel a looseness that was associated with my older 545 when I got it. my first rack on the old car was installed at 1500 miles. I got 750 now on the M5.

I think the steering rack is a weak spot on these cars just from what I am hearing and feeling so far. I think NYC roads are too rough for the rack and mounts used. It just doesnt feel solid. I wish they never installed this technology on the M5 i was excited when I saw no mention of " Active steering" in the brochures and all because I knew of the problems associated. Regardless the M5 has just another version of this technology it just has to be.

I will say this is my only complaint so far on the car and I now fear the dreaded rack replacement issue all over again.

Anyone else notice this or had steering rack issues?

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
What suspension do you have?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i think your being to paranoid !!

have had mine for 2 years and never had any issues with the rack or any other rack for that matter !!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Los Angeles roads are awful and I don't have this. Doesn't sound like you and the M5 are a very good match...

Well I know they dont disclose the M5 as having active steering like on the other E60 models but this steering feels damn identical to my 2004 545 sport. Now on my older 545 sport I would always get a clunk when turning over a bumpy surface and if i took the wheel and turned it left/right back and forth it would clunk. 4 steering racks were replaced in 7 months.

Now one thing I feel is the rack on the M5 doesnt seem sturdy it feels strained and I hear the clunk and feel a looseness that was associated with my older 545 when I got it. my first rack on the old car was installed at 1500 miles. I got 750 now on the M5.

I think the steering rack is a weak spot on these cars just from what I am hearing and feeling so far. I think NYC roads are too rough for the rack and mounts used. It just doesnt feel solid. I wish they never installed this technology on the M5 i was excited when I saw no mention of " Active steering" in the brochures and all because I knew of the problems associated. Regardless the M5 has just another version of this technology it just has to be.

I will say this is my only complaint so far on the car and I now fear the dreaded rack replacement issue all over again.

Anyone else notice this or had steering rack issues?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stock suspension it just may be something loose but I will say I still think the steering on my 911 and my brothers F430 feels so much better and solid, natural. I never was a fan of this computer enhanced crap.

If I am rolling at 5mph and i turn left and right hard i hear a clunk in the steering column. More noticeable when turning onto a bumpy road. I noticed this after the last few days driving in the Tri State crappy roads. The first few days of ownership it didnt do this.

From experience on my older E60 the rack was a weak part on the car and there were good reasons why they replaced so many.

Oh im running 40PSI in the tires all around

1 more week until 1200 service so I will bring this up.

·
Registered
994 Posts
M5teknyc-- I looked through your post history and never found anywhere that you posted pics of your E60 M5. Could you please do this as it's a rule around here that people post interior and exterior pics just so we know everyone is on the level. Apologies if you've done this and I missed it.

Reactions: BD 997

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent photos to another member Drlev i forgot to tell him to post them for me. Is it easy to do I havent even checked myself

Ok just posted hope they work. I love the color combo going to leather bind the floor mats when I find a good match for the color

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
M5teknyc-- I looked through your post history and never found anywhere that you posted pics of your E60 M5. Could you please do this as it's a rule around here that people post interior and exterior pics just so we know everyone is on the level. Apologies if you've done this and I missed it.
Who/Wha?! I don't see why/how this matters...

I haven't posted pictures of my beast, would any question I ask regarding "problems" be questioned too? That seems odd to me..

-F

·
Registered
408 Posts
M5TekNYC
I've been having the same clunking issue on my M5. I brought it up last time my car was in for a service but they reported back that everything was normal.:nono:
I haven't had time to go back in and actually make the problem occur with a service tech in the car.
If you find out anything about this problem before I do, please report your findings (and possible fix) to the board.

Thanks, Danish-M:cheers:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Who/Wha?! I don't see why/how this matters...

I haven't posted pictures of my beast, would any question I ask regarding "problems" be questioned too? That seems odd to me..

-F
No need to get so easily offended, just making sure the integrity of the board is upheld unlike many other auto forums. It takes two minutes to post pictures and I'm sure others would appreciate it.

M5teknyc- Thanks. Your car looks great. Good luck with the issue.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not offended at all Carl, I understand the reason for the question, it just seemed odd to me. He's posted quite a few things and all of his questions/issues seem to be legit, and he described the issue fairly well.

If he had opened a thread like our good friend fbmw, I could understand the request for pictures :)

-F

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sorry for the confusion and if I offended m5teknyc. I understand your point entirely, I've been spending too long with my pit and just attacked on sight. This FBMW character sounded like where any "special attention" should be targeted. :cheers:

Not offended at all Carl, I understand the reason for the question, it just seemed odd to me. He's posted quite a few things and all of his questions/issues seem to be legit, and he described the issue fairly well.

If he had opened a thread like our good friend fbmw, I could understand the request for pictures :)

-F

·
Registered
994 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Relax Carl. Have a cherrsagai
I'm like a coiled spring today full of off topic nonsense. Normal service is now resumed my friend.:M5thumbs:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts