BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 'whirring' noise when i turned the wheel all the way over, seemed to be worse in cold starts..

I mentioned it to the sa and they checked it out... said it was a leak in the steering fluid, needed replacement. Additionally had a faulty temperature sensor though it always seemed to read appropriately, all work done under aftermarket warranty.

Now that all is fixed my clutch has an earlier engage point, which kindof screwed up my shifts for a few days.. any ideas why that would be?

·
Registered
349 Posts
It could be that the leak was going onto the clutch disk.
I would imagine now that the disk is dried out you have different engagement of clutch.

Or it could just be coincidence that your clutch adjusted itself at the same time as the work was being done on your car !!!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I can't imagine any steering fluid getting inside the bellhousing and on the clutch. Also there is no 'adjustment' to the clutch system unless you have the oem release compensator valve that might have changed??? I think it might be coincidence that it feels different. Check ot the UUC Autowerks site as they explain a bunch about flywheels and clutches, etc...

Good Luck and drive that Beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Coincidence. The power steering is near the front of the car and the clutch is next to your right foot.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
+1. Coincidence.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have the same whinning noise but it only happens on cold starts and goes after about a minute of driving. The car had an inspection 2 done in august last year and then another full inspection done after if was stolen 3 months ago. Could BMW have missed this twice? I have noticed a leak but it is coming from the cap not the tube.

·
Registered
12,913 Posts
I have the same whinning noise but it only happens on cold starts and goes after about a minute of driving. The car had an inspection 2 done in august last year and then another full inspection done after if was stolen 3 months ago. Could BMW have missed this twice? I have noticed a leak but it is coming from the cap not the tube.
Power steering fluid expands when it heats up. Sounds like you are low. Check and add ATF to top up as necessary.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
410 Posts
coincidence......orrrrr joy ride...hmmm the mystery deepens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts