BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know weve discussed play in the steering box but Im curious abuot something.

Will the M5 take any other steering box from another 5 series? They all seem to use steering boxes.

Apparently they all look the same on the outside and hence would fit, the main difference being the gearing internally.

If others can be fitted then Im just going to get one from a 525i 24v because they seem as quick as the M5 ones. I own a 525i 24v and cant tell the differnce.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
worth a try Cyrus, have you checked the part numbers of the boxes for the 2 cars to see if they are the same? I would imagine if there is any difference it would be something to do with servotronic function as there can't be much weight difference between the cars.
cheers,
Phil.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think thats the word for it, it being the level of power assistance received by the steering box in relation to the cars road speed. I understand all (3.8) M5's have it fitted, cars fitted with Nurburgring option have a further refined servotronic system.
As I recall, most decent cars of late 80's early 90's had speed sensitive power steering, I assume servotronic is BMW's version of that system.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Nope, 3.8 cars did not have Servotronic fitted as standard, in fact I've never seen a servotronic box on a UK M5. We did this to death a few weeks ago, do a search for the thread if you need more info. No way would I put a 525 box in as the steering would be much slower than an M5 due to the different ratio. Why bother when we can get the M5 boxes rebuilt now?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But I have an e34 525i Touring and the steering is well fast on that. I cant feel the different to be honest.

The fact that we can get them rebuilt is good and makes sense, how much is it again...........£200? How hard is it to remove the box? Any idea of how many hours labour to pay?

Mine is horrendous now and must be done straight away.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yup, couple of hundred pounds to do it and 3 or 4 day turn-around I seem to remember. Bad-ish job to remove, it has to be done from underneath and the engine needs jacking off it's mounts to get clearance. I have given my spare box to Yewcorner, the idea is that we get a rebuilt box 'in-stock' and then someone can just buy is and swap them in 1 go then send theirs back for recon. But you're about a month premature, not sure if the first one has been sent off yet, Yewcorner?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine as about 3 inches of play aswell. The problem I have is that the car tramlines really badly and just changes direction with a mind of its own. I'm assuming this is being casued by the play......or do I have another problem aswell? The car just feels dangerous to drive to be honest.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would be interested in getting the rebuilt one fairly soon.

Is there any other reason you can have play in the steering? There is a nut under the dash on the steering column which apprently can come loose. Also from common knowledge, control arm bushes, balljoints and worn tie rods can also lend a hand to play in the steering.

So how does this steering box deal work? I need it sent to Bexley Motorworks for them to change it. Would I just be expected to send my old one back to Yewcorner?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mike, I read with interest the thread a short while back re steering boxes. Regarding servotronic, I read in my M Cars book that 3.8s had ST as standard, but checking out my manual I noticed that it seems to have been an option, the other reason I thought it was on our cars is that I have a fuse for servotronic in the fuse box, but I have to say I dont notice much change in the steering at speed.
Cheers,
Phil.
London Mike said:
Nope, 3.8 cars did not have Servotronic fitted as standard, in fact I've never seen a servotronic box on a UK M5. We did this to death a few weeks ago, do a search for the thread if you need more info. No way would I put a 525 box in as the steering would be much slower than an M5 due to the different ratio. Why bother when we can get the M5 boxes rebuilt now?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Phlem5 said:
Mike, I read with interest the thread a short while back re steering boxes. Regarding servotronic, I read in my M Cars book that 3.8s had ST as standard, but checking out my manual I noticed that it seems to have been an option, the other reason I thought it was on our cars is that I have a fuse for servotronic in the fuse box, but I have to say I dont notice much change in the steering at speed.
Cheers,
Phil.
FWIW I have the servotronic as part of the Nurburgring set up which is shown as an option on my 93 3.8 build sheet. Dont know what is special about it as I've not driven any other E34 M5.

Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts