BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i installed all new front suspension except new struts in front and the pitman-arm. i got to get wheel alignment and there is play in the steering wheel. I take it back to shop and they say its aligned straight. the play is from the steering grearbox. I said well that sucks with only 88k milies on the car. So do i rebuild the steering box or buy new? and is it normal to wear this early?
thanks

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have been searching for a while because my E28 M5 needs a new or rebuilt steering box at (155K). Did you have any history with the steering box leaking, perhaps resealing the steering box might work for you verses considering a new gear box with the relative lower mileage. I am currently looking for a place that fully rebuilds the box verses just putting in new seals....but I practically have twice the mileage on my steering box in comparison to yours.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering box does not leak. But there is a lot of play in the steering wheel when its parked and car is turned off. Im just curious if it is the steering box. because that is what the wheel alignment tech at tire kingdom suggested when he showed me the play in the steering wheel.
unless it could be something else? all the front end suspension components have been change except the pit man arm. will that help possible changing the pit arm?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
There is an adjustment on the steering box that can be used to reduce play.

The other possible option is tightening the steering column nut.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with the thought on the steering column nut needing to be tightened. I'm not exactly sure where it is, though after replacing a steering box on my E34 M5 at roughly 110K miles, my mechanic tightening the steering nut made a bigger difference than replacing the steering box when it came to reducing play. A big difference actually.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts