BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed a have a reasonable amount of play in the steering box of my '91 3.6.

Now first question is are the 3.8 steering boxes (non-servotronic types) the same as the 3.6 ones - and are they interchangable?

Second, how can I check a s/h box for play (to test if in better nick than current one) without fitting to a vehicle?

CHeers!

·
Registered
389 Posts
illjah said:
I've noticed a have a reasonable amount of play in the steering box of my '91 3.6.

Now first question is are the 3.8 steering boxes (non-servotronic types) the same as the 3.6 ones - and are they interchangable?

Second, how can I check a s/h box for play (to test if in better nick than current one) without fitting to a vehicle?

CHeers!
You didn't happen to be on ebay recently and see mine did you?? I'm selling one from a 3.8 m5 and want about £130 which is what i paid for it(non servotronic). I dunno if it'll fit your car though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
According to the parts catalogue, the rebuilt box is the same for non-servotronic 3.6's & 3.8's. Of course, that doesn't help here in Australia where there is one 3.8. :sad2:

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
madm5 said:
You didn't happen to be on ebay recently and see mine did you?? I'm selling one from a 3.8 m5 and want about £130 which is what i paid for it(non servotronic). I dunno if it'll fit your car though.
Yes exactly!!

Mine has a bit of play in it, and was considering it. Gotta get my gearbox recond' first really tho. Let me know if your steering box is still available tho.

·
Registered
43 Posts
madm5 said:
I guess it would cost a fortune to send to Australia, as they are very heavy. Otherwise I would consider it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts