BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of having the steering box replaced. Trying to get a price but ZF wont talk to the public and Bexleys need the part number. Anyone have any ideas? An added complication is that my car's owners handbook says my model has the Nurburgring suspension package which includes Servotronic. I think there is a steering box to suit this feature. So there must be a steering box with Servotronic and one without? Any ideas?

Frank

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Righto, I'm feeling helpful.

The Servotronic Steering Box PN (as fitted to my LE) is 32 13 2 226 893.

The Servotronic control unit is a separate part, but the non-servotronic box seems to have a different PN, 32 13 2 226 924.

Oddly, the touring has a different PN again for a Servotronic steering box - 32 13 2 226 891.

A remanufactured (including exchange) box from BMW is (approximately) £1450 + VAT. Eeeek.

'London Mike' was investigating recon options for the SBs recently, perhaps he'll be along shortly!...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
AndyE said:

The Servotronic control unit is a separate part, but the non-servotronic box seems to have a different PN, 32 13 2 226 924.

Oddly, the touring has a different PN again for a Servotronic steering box - 32 13 2 226 891.

A remanufactured (including exchange) box from BMW is (approximately) £1450 + VAT. Eeeek.

'London Mike' was investigating recon options for the SBs recently, perhaps he'll be along shortly!...
Andy,
Thanks
Just got quoted supply and fix £1317 + VAT - (recon box from BMW) dont know if it was the Servotronic version though. BTW How can you tell for certain which one it is (wouldnt want to order the wrong one)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well, I'm not sure how to tell from looking at the bits, but I believe your build sheet (avaiable from the dealer from your VIN) will indicate whether you have Servotronic or not.

Otherwise, it's easy enough to tell by simply jumping out of a recirculating ball-car which does have it, and into one which doesn't. The difference in effort required to spin the steering at very low speeds is noticeable. *What a useless bit of advice, unless you know someone with a standard e34*

Frank, how about going this route? kinggf

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=1625

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Andy,

what does the Servotronic control unit do??

I'm experiencing a weird problem with my steering at the moment, where it seems to misjudge the speed of the car and the steering remains light (as aiding parking at slow speeds).

It probably occurs everyday.
I'll be in traffic, pull away and the steering remains light (we're talking speeds up to 40mph) and then, I'll stop again, pull away and the steering is fine and firms up like it should!!!

weird!!!
??????

Steve

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It does exactly that, lightens/weights the steering depending on road speed. I'm not really sure how it works.

It does sound as if yours isn't quite right, though.... :(

Having said that, the steering feel in the M5 is rubbish, full stop. Perhaps you could drive another one to see if it's different/the same. You're welcome to have a go in mine in April.

Can you drive RHD? hiha

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AndyE said:
Well, I'm not sure how to tell from looking at the bits, but I believe your build sheet (avaiable from the dealer from your VIN) will indicate whether you have Servotronc or not.

Otherwise, it's easy enough to tell by simply jumping out of a car which does have it, and into one which doesn't. The difference in effort required to spin the steering at very low speeds is noticeable. *What a useless bit of advice*

Interesting but hellish to do by the sound of it...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
AndyE said:
It does exactly that, lightens/weights the steering depending on road speed. I'm not really sure how it works.

It does sound as if yours isn't quite right, though.... :(

Having said that, the steering feel in the M5 is rubbish, full stop. Perhaps you could drive another one to see if it's different/the same. You're welcome to have a go in mine in April.

Can you drive RHD? hiha
We also own a RHD Galaxy 2.3 Auto!!

So no, is the answer!!!!!

Just checked with BMW

Part No. 324 322 27 687 Servotronic Control unit is £107.24 + VAT

Not too bad..
The steering on my car generally is spot on, until it stays light!!!!

I will have a go in yours though. Make sure there's plenty of tread on those rears for me to burn off!!!!!

:M5launch:

Steve

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi All

'London Mike' did all the investigating to get this spare steering box we had between us refurbed. I still have it in the garage awaiting refurbishment. The problem which I had which I was told was my steering box turned out to be my front right wheel bearing. This is after I had replaced, front right bearing, centre drag link, track rods, thrust arms/bushes (750i), control arms, anti roll bar bushes, wheels, tyres, anti roll bar links, brake discs, callipers, pads, strut mounts, front right EDC strut.

The only items not replaced was the steering box and the front left wheel bearing .............. I swapped this with the old front right one ............. hey presto!! fault diagnosed no problem.

Funny how nobody was able to diagnose this problem?

Anyway, the details for the refurb people are as follows:

Power Steering Services
Dawn Welland
£198.58 (148.98 for work and £50 P&P)
01299 879289
Full Recon - 12 months warranty

Also the part number on my original steering box and my spare is: 32 13 2 226 924. Both are non servotronic.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Brian

AndyE said:

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
£200 is much more like it, as long as they do a good job. I wonder how worn our steering boxes really are, perhaps they're not much worse than when they were new! ;)

Steve - I doubt there'll be too much tread left on my tyres that weekend, but I'll drive home on the canvas. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
yewcorner said:
... The problem which I had which I was told was my steering box turned out to be my front right wheel bearing....
What was the problem you had?

I must have missed this thread.

Ivan.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I had this kind of drumming rotational tapping noise which sounded like it was coming from the front right of the car, hard to explain, it definitely didn't sound like a worn bearing though. Especially having only covered circa 55k miles, but heavy fast car obviously wore it out.

All the 'experts' said it wasn't the bearings but probably some play in the steering components/box or susupension, hence total replacement.

My Inspection 2 was done a couple of weeks ago and the technician had a good look at the bearings and said that there was no movement in the front left one but it did make a definite noise, I can only assume that the ball bearings were moving on the internal races. On inspection the races were black, maybe from heat (although I never felt any through the wheel) I just don't know?

IvanDias said:
What was the problem you had?

I must have missed this thread.

Ivan.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have found there are at least 3 different ratios for the E34's steering box. I have a 540i and I believe it is 16:1. As far as I know the M5 has a 15.6:1 in the 3.6 and a 15:1 in the 3.8. And you get the M units in regular or Servotronic. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I want to fit my 540i with the M5 unit. Does anyone know where I can get one new or used complete?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AndyE said:
Well, I'm not sure how to tell from looking at the bits, but I believe your build sheet (avaiable from the dealer from your VIN) will indicate whether you have Servotronic or not.

Otherwise, it's easy enough to tell by simply jumping out of a recirculating ball-car which does have it, and into one which doesn't. The difference in effort required to spin the steering at very low speeds is noticeable. *What a useless bit of advice, unless you know someone with a standard e34*

Whilst replacing the rear dampers Bexleys checked the steering box turns out I do have servotronic but the box had no visible part number. I guess it'll be the one you quoted above and look like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
yewcorner said:
I gotcha :cool2:
Looking at the part number this seems the closest match seems to be the Touring box mentioned by Andy in his post?
Oh and it also says:
"Wann sie sicher sein wolte, musste sie hinten das linker lautsprecher abdeckung im innenraum sehen ob dar zwei gelbe runde stecker rum hangen. Wann ja. Getriebe past 100% sicher."
which I think means "if you want to be sure check behind the left side loudspeaker cover in the interior - if you find two yellow round plugs then its 100% compatible"
Checking the realoem parts database this indicates the sedan box (#893) costs $2240 whilst the touring box (#891) costs a more modest $1981. So they must be different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts