BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Recently I've been noticing that the steering on my 1994 e34m5 is getting a bit more vague, some tugging to either side on braking at slower speeds and a vibration at 55mph. Except for the vagueness and increased steering wheel play the other symptoms seem to improve after the car is warm.

Took it to my mechanic who thinks it is the steering box and thought just replace the box and be done with it. Unfortunately the cost is pretty steep. In reading London Mike's posts on steering boxes I saw the name power steering services in London and have a number for them which I will try shortly. Has any one actually sent them a box and got it back and are happy with the results? Please let me know.

Looks like a hell of an Inspection II coming up.

:cheers:

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
vadas1 said:
Hi Guys

Recently I've been noticing that the steering on my 1994 e34m5 is getting a bit more vague, some tugging to either side on braking at slower speeds and a vibration at 55mph. Except for the vagueness and increased steering wheel play the other symptoms seem to improve after the car is warm.

Took it to my mechanic who thinks it is the steering box and thought just replace the box and be done with it. Unfortunately the cost is pretty steep. In reading London Mike's posts on steering boxes I saw the name power steering services in London and have a number for them which I will try shortly. Has any one actually sent them a box and got it back and are happy with the results? Please let me know.

Looks like a hell of an Inspection II coming up.

ralph (vadas1)
-------------------
hi ralph

this is what I was going to do, but realised I dont have enough of a reason to do it yet, so will keep it as a future item on the to do list.

I spoke to the guys at Steering sErvices, they seem nice enough, with their 24 hour delivery service etc. Well you wont know till you've tried them.

Is your box Servotronic, as they will need the serial number on the box itself, it begins with ZF.

let us know how it goes, when do you plan on doing this?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi Ralph,

Make sure you've checked the radius arm & track control bushes together with tyre wear & balance. The steering box can have the play adjusted via a grubscrew & locknut on top of the box. It's a bit of a job to get to it on the RHD cars but straightforward on the LHD.

Mickle.....

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jahangeer said:
-------------------
hi ralph

this is what I was going to do, but realised I dont have enough of a reason to do it yet, so will keep it as a future item on the to do list.

I spoke to the guys at Steering sErvices, they seem nice enough, with their 24 hour delivery service etc. Well you wont know till you've tried them.

Is your box Servotronic, as they will need the serial number on the box itself, it begins with ZF.

let us know how it goes, when do you plan on doing this?
Hi Janhangeer

Thank you for the tips. I'll have a look for the number. My garage has heard about power steering services and is making some trade enquiries. I will give them a ring as well. We are planning to do this month if we can.

ralph (vadas)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mickle said:
Hi Ralph,

Make sure you've checked the radius arm & track control bushes together with tyre wear & balance. The steering box can have the play adjusted via a grubscrew & locknut on top of the box. It's a bit of a job to get to it on the RHD cars but straightforward on the LHD.

Mickle.....
Hi Mickle

Thanks for that. We've checked the radius arm and track control bushes and the tyres are one week old. Adjustment may be an idea but it looks like we would have to lift the engine even to do that as the car is RHD.

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
vadas1 said:
Hi Guys

Recently I've been noticing that the steering on my 1994 e34m5 is getting a bit more vague, some tugging to either side on braking at slower speeds and a vibration at 55mph.
Since the new tyres? Possibility one not balanced correctly or not mounted snugly on the wheelhub. Might be worth jacking up, remove wheel, quick wire brush over the hub, bit'o'copper grease then back on with the wheel and tightn in the correct pattern. I've seen wheels slightly off with those air-guns the mechanics use occcasionally.

Bear in mind I noticed a lot more tramlining and grabbing when on new tyres than the old. Odd, but just seemed that way.

After that then I'd suggest a tracking check and someone to look at all those bushes and bits as mentioned above.

The steering box is the last thing to replace as it's so expensive. I don't think it would be responsible for a vibration at 55, as surely it only contributes to the steering when actually working, which going in a straight line is not? Or have I got it wrong?

Hope you get it sorted out, and we'll have to have another beer soon! With Steve Durt in the Range Rover business now, it's just you and I in town!

Ivan.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ivan

Thanks for that. The garage had a word with a bloke in Christchurch who is quite good on BM's and he reckons a steering box is back of the list both because of cost and the fact that mine ( at 100k ) is relatively young.So Wednesday afternoon we will look at all the bushes and bits and before then I shall go up to Poole Tyres and get them to have another look at the tyres. Funnily enough, just after the tyres were fitted the car felt fantastic.

Yes, we ought to think of another get together.

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Progress so far.

Poole Tyres rebalanced the L front and then said it might be the wheel itself being out of true. But I haven't hit anything and my garage thought the wheel was OK. They said that sometimes the balance checks themselves can be out and the best was BMW dealer who could put the wheel on the machine by bolting the wheel direct to the machine.

We did find that the bushes are gone ( thank you mickle ) and will be replaced this weekend.

The steering box still feels a bit slack but we will consider tightening it up ( will probably have to jack the motor up to get at it ?? unless there are any tricks to it ?? ) after the bushes are done.

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
271 Posts
IvanDias said:
Hope you get it sorted out, and we'll have to have another beer soon! With Steve Durt in the Range Rover business now, it's just you and I in town!

Ivan.

May have the Range Rover just now - but still very tempted to get another beast. I am always keeping an eye on the market.

:nono: No good the pair of you's being the only kids on the block with E34 M5's. :nono:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hi Ralph,

I have a spare front and two spare rear wheels you can borrow, but not for sale!

Rears have *just* legal tyres and are fully balanced.

Front is bare wheel. You'd need a tyre to mount on it.
There's no rush to have it back, as I'm slowly looking for another front.

Alternatively you could borrow a "live" front from my car, but that would have to be sunday for an hour just to test running up the road, as I need it!

Need it then email me on [email protected]

Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
More'n'welcome. Fancy a beer sometime then guys?

I'm free sunday or next weekend !!

Stephen, do you still have that old lump'o'axle I never collected from you or has it gone to the skip?

Ivan.

·
Registered
271 Posts
IvanDias said:
More'n'welcome. Fancy a beer sometime then guys?

I'm free sunday or next weekend !!

Stephen, do you still have that old lump'o'axle I never collected from you or has it gone to the skip?

Ivan.

still lying in the undergroth - come get it if you still want it

·
Registered
271 Posts
Would be good to catch up with you guy's - I am free anytime for the next week or two - on holiday - in between jobs - hopefully we can sort something out.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
durt said:
still lying in the undergroth - come get it if you still want it
Will call you Saturday afternoon to arrange when. Thankyou.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
IvanDias said:
Hi Ralph,

I have a spare front and two spare rear wheels you can borrow, but not for sale!

Rears have *just* legal tyres and are fully balanced.

Front is bare wheel. You'd need a tyre to mount on it.
There's no rush to have it back, as I'm slowly looking for another front.

Alternatively you could borrow a "live" front from my car, but that would have to be sunday for an hour just to test running up the road, as I need it!

Need it then email me on [email protected]

Ivan.
Hi Ivan

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it after we've done the bushes.

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
durt said:
Would be good to catch up with you guy's - I am free anytime for the next week or two - on holiday - in between jobs - hopefully we can sort something out.

Hi Durt

Yes it would be good to catch up. Any idea of times?

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
271 Posts
vadas1 said:
Hi Durt

Yes it would be good to catch up. Any idea of times?

ralph (vadas1)
Tomorrow (Sunday 18th) - early afternoon ? Edwards ? Or some place else ? Open to sugestions. Then you's can buy the birthday boy a drink :happybirt cherrsagai :happybirt

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
durt said:
Tomorrow (Sunday 18th) - early afternoon ? Edwards ? Or some place else ? Open to sugestions. Then you's can buy the birthday boy a drink :happybirt cherrsagai :happybirt

Sounds great! How about Edwards around 1:00 PM ( 1300 )?

Many happy returns! How many whacks will we have to give you?

How about yourself Ivan?

ralph (vadas1)

·
Registered
271 Posts
vadas1 said:
Sounds great! How about Edwards around 1:00 PM ( 1300 )?

Many happy returns! How many whacks will we have to give you?

How about yourself Ivan?

ralph (vadas1)

Sounds good to me - see you there.

35 ain't too old - as they say "you are only as old as you feel" mmmmmmm 18 !
cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Edwards about one it is.

35 is great. I am 35!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts