BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi M5board,

Would anyone happen to know of a shop in the Bay Area, California or better yet, anywhere in the United States that repairs the M5 ZF steering boxes? I need a shop that actually disassembles and repairs the internals rather than inserting new seals and what not...I have both a servotronic and non-servotronic steering box in my hands and I would really like them repaired.

My 93 M5 has gone through a full suspension refresh and steering box swap (from servotronic to non-servotronic) and I'm still experiencing looseness and play in the steering wheel. It's been completely ruining the experience for me.

Additionally I also have a broken original 5spd 280G getrag transmission I would like to be repaired as well.

I'm grateful for any advice at this point, thanks

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Additionally I also have a broken original 5spd 280G getrag transmission I would like to be repaired as well.
On the Getrag it seems the only people who can repair them properly are Getrag

GA25321 (JacobSeattle) has a 'euro repaired' 5 speed (about half the cost of the Getrag overhaul including freight from Indonesia to Europe and back) and that repair lasted 6 months before it refused to go into 4th gear

Jacob has just purchased 2 used M5 gearboxes from the USA so hopefully one of them is good.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The one in my car had 2nd and 4th gear replaced 40k miles ago with no issues. The work was done in Massachusetts. My other box was done by Jim Blanton and also has 40k since the rebuild and works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
406 Posts
The one in my car had 2nd and 4th gear replaced 40k miles ago with no issues. The work was done in Massachusetts. My other box was done by Jim Blanton and also has 40k since the rebuild and works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim is who most S14 guys in the US use to repair their G265 or dogleg boxes.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but it seemed pertinent to my cause. I need my E28 M5 steering box rebuilt and hoping to find someone or some company to fully rebuild the box just not reseal. In this thread Benchworks in Phoenix was mentioned does anyone have any experience with them? Alternatively, does anyone have a recommendation of either sourcing a a new E28 M5 steering box or another company that they highly trust to do the right thing. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts