BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering tilt mechanism makes a fair amount of noise. I've had it apart and loosened the nut (as per the DIY), as well as added some lubrication, which quieted it nicely but only for a couple months. The noise returned full force.

Needless to say I find it annoying. I don't much care to disassemble the dash every few months to deal with it. I could of course unplug the tilt motor but then I or another driver couldn't move it at all when desired.

I'm wondering if anyone's found a way to disable the auto-tilt that occurs on startup and shutdown. This of course is when it has the most regular movement; I rarely move it while driving and usually then only if I adjust the seat. If it stayed put but retained its usual adjustability I'd be quite happy.

So, is there a way in the coding to tell the car to leave the steering wheel stationary when the car starts and stops?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I'd like to know too. My beer gut hasn't got to the point yet where I need the steering wheel up to get in and out of the car so it's just wearing itself out unnecessarily.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can do that. I was in the coding stuff today doing some LCM/GT/KMBI tweaks. Let me go through a couple of modules and I'll report back.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'm not plugged into my car right now but it looks like this one may be it:

GM3 Module:

LENKSAEULENMEMORY

Bonus: I found the way to disable headlight cleaning also in that module. And of course, the windows up with key is in the same place

Headlight Cleaning:
SCHEINWERFERREINIGUNG

Comfort close w/ remote:
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB

I guess some more coding will be in order tomorrow.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LJG - please let us know what you find out about the steering column, it would be most helpful if that does the trick.

As for the headlight washers, I pulled the fuse /shrugs. And by good fortune, my car was already coded for comfort window closing :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I am not mistaken, BMW SSS Progman has the capability to turn off the auto horizontal and vertical adjustment of the steering column. I was using the software to turn off the auto door locking (when you drive ) on an X5 and saw that option.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
If you de-select "Steering column memory" it should leave the steering wheel in place. It is possible that it will only decouple if from the seat memory, but then you can select it again ;)

·
Registered
843 Posts
Update: the function doesn't appear to mess with the "comfort entry/exit" steering wheel function.

On the plus side, I have found all sorts of cool coding functions pouring through the modules.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: the function doesn't appear to mess with the "comfort entry/exit" steering wheel function.

On the plus side, I have found all sorts of cool coding functions pouring through the modules.
Dang. I was hoping that would do it :( Well, with luck you might find something else. Please let us know if you do - and thanks for checking things out so far!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts