BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a piece of trim on my steering wheel was peeling. I was wondering if anyone has replace this themself and how difficult it to do and where you can get the trim piece?
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
186 Posts
That bottom piece on the wheel commonly peels. To replace it, I believe you have to disconnect the battery and take the airbag out. Then it just unscrews. I am not 100% sure on how the airbag comes out though.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I noticed a piece of trim on my steering wheel was peeling. I was wondering if anyone has replace this themself and how difficult it to do and where you can get the trim piece?
Thanks,
Jeff
If you still have warranties, the dealer will replace for you. Mine was pealing, so I took it back to dealer and told my arrive advisor and they relpace it. Call you local BMW dealer first and find out.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
do a search on this forum

this has been discussed several times before.

bottom line, its a common problem, and dealership can replace it (free if still under warranty)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks

I am hoping someone has done this repair here as my car is out of warranty and am looking for a little guidence on the steps to take.

I did a search and noticed people had done the repair or had it done but no one seemed to talk about how it was done.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do a search mate. There is a step by step guide on here. Its very easy.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1 There is a step by step guide on this Board. Search is your friend. I did mine and it wasn't hard at all. Well worth the hour spent. Steering wheel looks brand new now.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Any DIY on the handbrake handle? I may want to do this in the future.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Installed my new piece today, took 20 mins of which most of that time was removing the M sticker off the old trim and placing on to the new piece.
Also in the process of replacing the badge on the airbag itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
do a search on this forum

this has been discussed several times before.

bottom line, its a common problem, and dealership can replace it (free if still under warranty)
Do a search mate. There is a step by step guide on here. Its very easy.
+1 There is a step by step guide on this Board. Search is your friend. I did mine and it wasn't hard at all. Well worth the hour spent. Steering wheel looks brand new now.
If he posted the question i dont think he found the answer. i think he understands and does not need 3 people back to back to say the same thing. just cluttering up the thread. just answer the question.....

·
Registered
124 Posts
If you still have warranties, the dealer will replace for you. Mine was pealing, so I took it back to dealer and told my arrive advisor and they relpace it. Call you local BMW dealer first and find out.
common on all models, take it to the dealer and they'll replace for free.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts