BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we do this to our cars? Just that my engine bay has alot of grit and dust in there.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I've done it before with no problems.

Just avoid the black cover, this shields the ignition coils/spark plugs (dependant on whether its 3.6/3.8), never a good idea to introduce water to this piece, also avoid the self leveling resovoir and do it when the engine cold.

BURTON said:
Can we do this to our cars? Just that my engine bay has alot of grit and dust in there.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've been told not to steam clean the engines as the electriccs tend to get fouled up. I use simple green and spray it all down. Let it soak a bit then rinse with water. Let it air dry and have had no problem. Give all alittle spritz of armor all and it tends to be easier to clean off next time around.

·
Registered
85 Posts
BURTON said:
STOP!!!.... Do not steam clean the engine/engine bay area, 2 years ago I bought a 1995 M5, a week after I purchase the car I steam cleaned it, during the first drive after the steam clean the car hesitated, stalled, and bucked like a bull, plus the oil light started coming on 20 minutes into the ride. After about approximately a week of drying out the car finally returned to normal (oil light problems also disappeared) driving, needless to say I almost worried myself to death wondering what's wrong with the car. There are too many electrical components in that engine bay that are vulnerable to the water spray. JUST DON'T DO IT.

Garcia

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
I would not consider steam cleaning in the commercial sense.
I have used Gunk degreaser on the engine & used a 130 bar pressure washer to wash down.

As long as you dont spray directly at the connectors or douse the coil packs under the cover you can then finish the cleaning by hand & like others, using armoural as a finishing dresser for the engine parts & cooling pipes etc means that subsequent cleaning is much easier.

This approach has worked for all my vehicles including a couple of complex jap models.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will go and buy some gunk and get the electrics covered in plastic.

·
Registered
246 Posts
BURTON said:
I will go and buy some gunk and get the electrics covered in plastic.
Before you apply the gunk and water take a look at one of my previous posts concerning the problems you can get into.
Only 4 Cylinders working (Water trap NRV!!)
It caused me a few more grey hairs before finding the problem - and I gently washed the area with a can of water. I have to say that this is with the B38 engine. I had no similar problems in keeping a B36 spotless.

cherrsagai

1 - 7 of 7 Posts