BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I had some body work done to my car recently. Since the very minute I picked up my car, every time I get out of it, I get shocked, bad, I'm talking an arc and everything...this happens every time without fail, unless I close the door with my shoe or something.

Could this have anything to do with the body work that was done? Or is it something else? Is there anything I can do about?

Please help!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The electrical system of a car is grounded to the chassis, but it seems odd that bodywork would cause something like that. I dont think that is the case.
Humidity, static charge of the atmosphere, your shoes etc could been the culprit. Sometimes out in AZ there will be weeks where everyones car shocks the crap out of you, and then it just goes away. I would give it a bit more time before you bring the car back to the shop. Try grounding yourself to something metal before you get out and see if you get shocked inside the car.
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hey Disco...I haven't seen you around these parts lately...welcome back!

As Nut said, the body should be grounded, but if they removed any ground straps and put them back without scraping paint and insuring a good ground, that will get you. Clothing (synthetics) will cause this problem quite a bit. Dry conditions usually contribute to this quite a bit, but I'm guessing you don't get much "dry" in FL.

Be careful when fueling!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts