BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My m5 just hit 1200 miles and it changing its note much deaper and meaner.am I imagining this change or is the motor breaking and setteling in??

·
Registered
994 Posts
My m5 just hit 1200 miles and it changing its note much deaper and meaner.am I imagining this change or is the motor breaking and setteling in??
Your mpg begins to improve above 6k too

·
Registered
128 Posts
Your mpg begins to improve above 6k too
Really? By how much have you experienced? Just curious if my combined average of 14 mpg will increase a tad.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Really? By how much have you experienced? Just curious if my combined average of 14 mpg will increase a tad.
Hugely. Was getting 13.5 hwy before 1,200mile. Went to 15-17mpg between 3-5,000miles. Now I'm at 7,000miles and got 19.6 mpg (US so c.22mpg Euro) on the way to and from Vegas last week with three on board and lots of luggage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Mileage

You must be in 7th gear going 25MPH to get that mileage. I don't think I have ever averaged over 14 MPG. ouich

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The Vegas -> Los Angeles trip is fairly decent for mileage. I usually average about 21mpg on the way there (2500 feet net elevation drop) and about 19.5mpg on the way back.

On long freeway drives, you should be getting around 19-20mpg assuming no traffic. Maybe the low humidity also helps on most of that drive? Less density to the air?

·
Registered
35 Posts
City driving rocks. I get 10.6 mpg :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ditto. I would kill for anything north of 15 mpg. I get 10.5 if I'm lucky. Sounds like there are a few grandma's lurking on the board.:woowoo:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I noticed the exact same thing...engine note sounded deeper and had a more noticeable rumble. Now I just like to drive with the windows open, love the sound.
I thought it was probably my imagination and posted this observation earlier.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts

:blabla: Yup, it's an Engine, and it will loosen up and the exhaust will settle in also.....have fun,
. By the By, how's the BLOWER MOTOR, or WIPER MOTOR, SEAT MOTOR, ALL the ELECTRICAL "MOTORS" ????? :cheers:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yepeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.....its nother one of those threads....MOTOR v.s. ENGINE!!!!!!!!! here we go again..........................

·
Registered
994 Posts
You must be in 7th gear going 25MPH to get that mileage. I don't think I have ever averaged over 14 MPG. ouich
Nope, that's averaging between 90-98 on I15 with a few 130bursts and then going with the flow about 70-80 when traffic thickens up on the 10.

You know the saying; don't hate the player...:p

By the way, I get just 7.4mpg in the city driving on the accel then brakes when I get chance. City driving is to0 frustrating not to, but got to watch out for the b&W tax collectors.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Nope, that's averaging between 90-98 on I15 with a few 130bursts and then going with the flow about 70-80 when traffic thickens up on the 10.

You know the saying; don't hate the player...:p

By the way, I get just 7.4mpg in the city driving on the accel then brakes when I get chance. City driving is to0 frustrating not to, but got to watch out for the b&W tax collectors.
You must have a tail wind and be goin down hill all the time. I get 12.4 to 12.6 mph on every one I've owned. :dunno:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think my M5 is a hybrid- It runs on gas and oil. :D

I get 20.5 on average driving to and from Madison, WI from Minneapolis (Thats about 285 miles). But I do drive like a granny on the highway- about 75mph on cruise control...

·
Registered
476 Posts
6.5 MPG

On a road trip to Canada I averaged 6.5 MPG in upstate New York. It was all 90+ MPH and lot of shifting, etc. Fun...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts