BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the couple of years I lived in the US I noticed that nobody* with a manual transmission seemed able to pull away on a hill without rolling backwards. The handful of people I knew personally with sticks claimed it was impossible not to roll a little, the skill was to get off the brake and onto the gas quick enough for it not to roll *much*

Tell me you guys are different....

Andy
*I wouldn't have noticed manual drivers who didn't roll back, so I guess that's an over estimation.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Three words: Hand Brake Start.

(I used to park in a parking garage with a tight, spiraled, up-hill ramp. When I first started driving a stick, I made sure I either got there REALLY REALLY early, or REALLY REALLY late, so I would never be faced with getting stuck on that ramp. . . :eek: Once I mastered that hand brake start, it was no worries.)

__Andy__ said:
From the couple of years I lived in the US I noticed that nobody* with a manual transmission seemed able to pull away on a hill without rolling backwards. The handful of people I knew personally with sticks claimed it was impossible not to roll a little, the skill was to get off the brake and onto the gas quick enough for it not to roll *much*

Tell me you guys are different....

Andy
*I wouldn't have noticed manual drivers who didn't roll back, so I guess that's an over estimation.

·
Registered
311 Posts
NO hand breaking needed although a good trick. The technique is called “Half Clutching”. Is when you let go of the clutch half way so the engine’s pulling force reaches an equilibrium with the gears engaging force that is when you can let go of the break pedal right before your car dies on you and apply the gas as you let go of the clutch. That way your car never rolls back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MINENCE said:
That way your car never rolls back.
Unless you're in Mrs Struth's car cark that is.

I'll do this myself if I'm being lazy... But what do you do if you come across a hill too steep that your engine can't make enough torque at idle to hold it before stalling?

Andy

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I use the e-brake trick when I'm starting out on a steep hill, including the top of my driveway.

I've found that the massive torque of the S62 engine is really good for somebody who's learning to drive a manual car. On level ground, you can fully engage the clutch in first gear without even applying throttle...

·
Registered
100 Posts
MINENCE said:
NO hand breaking needed although a good trick. The technique is called “Half Clutching”. Is when you let go of the clutch half way so the engine’s pulling force reaches an equilibrium with the gears engaging force that is when you can let go of the break pedal right before your car dies on you and apply the gas as you let go of the clutch. That way your car never rolls back.
If you do this on a steep hill you have a good change of your engine dying just when you need it, and this isn't the best way to treat your clutch either. Use hand brake starts on moderate to steep hills and half clutch it on a slight incline.

·
Registered
312 Posts
M-Fünf said:
I've found that the massive torque of the S62 engine is really good for somebody who's learning to drive a manual car. On level ground, you can fully engage the clutch in first gear without even applying throttle...
yes. . . well, that's part of the problem. I LEARNED to drive stick on the Beast. I HAD to drive stick on the parking ramp in the MINI - just a wee bit different!:hihi:

·
Registered
512 Posts
On a somewhat related note, have any of you tried reversing up a steep hill from a stop? I was pulling into a subterranian driveway the other day and the gate was broken. I was pretty close to the gate as the speakerbox was close to the gate. So I had to reverse from a full stop up a steep driveway while trying to not roll forward into the gate. I used the e-brake method, but i was so concerned about hitting the gate that the clutch caught a little abuse from the high revs I used; it didnt smell kosher.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
MINENCE said:
Similarly, heel and toe, though I'm not the best at it.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I find that trying to not roll forces you to slip the clutch MORE.

While there may be situations were you cannot tolerate even a few inches of roll, a few inches (6") seems perfectly acceptable on steep hills.

A

PS Speaking of burnt clutches, just took my 15 year old daughter for her first attempt at a clutch.... No not the M, but a 325 loaner. She did fine- no burning!

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
After learning how to drive a stick in and around San Francisco, I have found that is possible to launch on a hill without rolling back, but mostly it is not that important not to roll back those few inches. I can use the handbrake to keep from rolling back, I can hold the gas and brake at the same time and then release the clutch (as a_ok2me said), but in the end the 3'' you roll back isnt the issue at hand. The issue is not smoking your clutch.
The method I use on hills is hold the brake, pull the clutch out to just before the friction point, and then when you release the brake get the rpms up to around 1500, and then clutch out, get off the gas, wait till the clutch is engaged, and then reapply the gas at 1000rpms. It sounds funny in text, but when done the extra 500rpm's keep the car from rolling back, but then you are not adding a lot of throttle to a slipping clutch. I need to make a video...
:cheers:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts