BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many others have gotten into the habit of starting off in 2nd gear most of the time in their beasts? For normal driving around town, I find 1st kind of a waste, unless I'm on an incline. Just wondering what others experiences are? I lightly feather the clutch and get the revs just enough to get it going and then start applying throttle. I bought my car almost 4 years ago with 45k miles on it, have not replaced the clutch and it's still doing fine at 105k.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I do use 1st sometimes for pulling away but quite often feather the clutch in 2nd, mines done 111,000 miles on the original clutch.

Simon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I always go off in first, into second at 3K usually.

Starting in 2nd feels more like driving a normal lower-hp car, which is preference I suppose. I dont think starting in second all the time is best for the car, as you are lugging the engine a little and will probably be slipping the clutch a little more.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised a bunch of you guys start in 2nd. I find first is very easy to start off in, you can almost just pull your foot clean off the clutch with very little throttle at all, and the inertia at close to idle speeds is enough to quickly engage 1st and take off. Very close to zero clutch slippage when using first. I've used 2nd when starting in snow, but thats about it.. and it involves clutch slip.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I start in second quite a bit, especially if I don't have to come to a complete stop. I also shift first to third quite a bit. My second gear is touchy to engage when cold and can cause a considerable delay on the upshift. This way I avoid the guy behind me almost rear ending me because of a balky shifter. With the lower 3.45 gears, both of these scenarios are no problem, even though I don't see a problem with doing it with a stock diff.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know I'm not alone doing this. Don't get me wrong, 1st gear is fun, but for normal getting-around driving, 2nd seems easier.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
From a standstill.....never. Rolling....quite often.

Reactions: Kinder and M55555

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
For those of us with jerky throttles (like me) starting off in second is a Godsend...having said that, I rarely do it. I don't think it requires much clutch slippage, but I can't get past it psychologically.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hell no. Especially from a standstill.
Agreed, 100%.

Starting in second is harder on the clutch, the engine, and is IMHO just a lazy habit.

I always start in 1st. I've owned multiple cars that I've taken well over 200,000 miles on the original clutch. I'm not claiming that I'll get that out of the clutch in my M5, but I'm not going to cut into its useful life either.

-crds

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I always start in first unless for some reason my right hand is occupied and can't shift back into first to get moving again. I don't prefer to start in 2nd and do feel it requires clutch slippage to get going, probably because I'm not used to starting in 2nd nor do I want to get used to it.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I start out in 2nd all the time unless

1) I'm at a complete standstill
2) I need to quickly merge into traffic.

So much low end torque....

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I start out in 2nd gear almost all the time, BUT, I have a 3.45 rear gear.

I also very often do what I call skip shifting evens, 2nd, 4th, 6th. This way I am not raking the trans all the time.

Additionally with the 3.45 rear you need to modify your downshifting behavior when taking corners. Rarely downshift to 2nd unless going VERY slow, otherwise it is harder to get the trans to speed match for 2nd gear and 2nd slows you too much for most turns. Most rolling left turns downshift no lower than 3rd gear.

Takes a while to readjust driving behavior to the wide range of gear ratios in these cars.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
ALWAYS use ALL my gears. 1st to 3500-4000 (unless racing - then full out) then second to cruise speed and hold in 3rd.

If the car has inertia it can be bumpy to shift down to 1st unless exact throttle is applied, in which case the cars 500nm allows for a rolling start in 2nd. But NEVER from a standstill IMHO!!!

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I start out in 2nd all the time unless

1) I'm at a complete standstill
2) I need to quickly merge into traffic.

So much low end torque....
Same here. I primarily use 2nd gear all day long. Unless I'm in a parking lot, busy shopping center, or in bumper to bumper traffic. The revs clime so quickly in first & don't like to interrupt the smooth linear acceleration that is taking place. I have save probably over 1 million 1st - 2nd shifts with this method. 2nd is a very dynamic gear when used correctly. Just blip the throttle once & walk her out in it. Many of my friends use this very same "2nd gear mots of the time" method. It's actually kind of a secret that only "true" m5 owners know about & discuss with others owners. No joke.

I think once my shifter issue are addressed (sloppy side to side motion, & very worn plastic bushings) I will begin to use 1st gear more. Right now, I can quickly shift r power shift at all to 2nd because of the condition of my assembly/linkage. So this "2nd" gear only to start her off business was begun mostly out of necessity for me. ;)

I'm very glad that this issue was brought up & I wonder why I didn't bring it up sooner myself... ! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts