BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few months ago I picked up a 2007 M6 with about 95k and it's truly an experience to drive this car. Recently I've been running into what I believe is either a bad solenoid/started/loose wires? I looked around the forums and saw a thread about them having somewhat similar issues but not exactly, and considering how much of a nightmare it seems to switch the starter I wanted to cover my bases before-hand. My M6 has been running fine for awhile without issues until one day it started having slight issues starting, only in the mornings it seems. With working from home 3 days a week, I don't drive the car too much but every time I do, even if it's only been 1 day of sitting, I run into an issue where I push the ignition and I hear a click and all the lights turn on as usual. Every time I need to get into my car in the morning, I have to sit there and repeatedly push the ignition until it finally decides to start. Whenever it finally cranks, it fires right up without issue, It doesn't fail mid-crank or require multiple attempts. I'm not sure if it's a starter issue as when it does eventually crank, it fires up like when I first bought the car.

When I park for the day at the office and get back in 10 hours later, the car fires up without any hesitation. I'm leaning towards it being a Wiring/solenoid issue as I'd imagine if it was a starter, it would crank weak and sound off, but I could be very wrong. I've not been able to find much on this specifically aside from this one but it's not entirely the same.

Please let me know what you might think it is or things I can test, I'm trying to avoid a huge bill if it's maybe a loose wire. Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Could be weak battery, do you hear the starter struggle? and after a drive it's charged up car fires up normal.
Clogged filter/bad pump combination. You can always test fuel pressure with software.
Bad spark plugs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
So a few months ago I picked up a 2007 M6 with about 95k and it's truly an experience to drive this car. Recently I've been running into what I believe is either a bad solenoid/started/loose wires? I looked around the forums and saw a thread about them having somewhat similar issues but not exactly, and considering how much of a nightmare it seems to switch the starter I wanted to cover my bases before-hand. My M6 has been running fine for awhile without issues until one day it started having slight issues starting, only in the mornings it seems. With working from home 3 days a week, I don't drive the car too much but every time I do, even if it's only been 1 day of sitting, I run into an issue where I push the ignition and I hear a click and all the lights turn on as usual. Every time I need to get into my car in the morning, I have to sit there and repeatedly push the ignition until it finally decides to start. Whenever it finally cranks, it fires right up without issue, It doesn't fail mid-crank or require multiple attempts. I'm not sure if it's a starter issue as when it does eventually crank, it fires up like when I first bought the car.

When I park for the day at the office and get back in 10 hours later, the car fires up without any hesitation. I'm leaning towards it being a Wiring/solenoid issue as I'd imagine if it was a starter, it would crank weak and sound off, but I could be very wrong. I've not been able to find much on this specifically aside from this one but it's not entirely the same.

Please let me know what you might think it is or things I can test, I'm trying to avoid a huge bill if it's maybe a loose wire. Thank you all in advance!
Is your car SMG? The car won't start until the SMG is in neutral. I noticed a few times over the years I've had the car that sometimes it doesn't go into neutral right away and that's why there is no reaction from the car and as soon as it goes to neutral it starts normally. Maybe something with SMG pump etc?

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is your car SMG? The car won't start until the SMG is in neutral. I noticed a few times over the years I've had the car that sometimes it doesn't go into neutral right away and that's why there is no reaction from the car and as soon as it goes to neutral it starts normally. Maybe something with SMG pump etc?

Yep, it's in neutral everytime, even mentions so on the dash/infotaiment center. The SMG feels fine? Not really sluggish or any signs (That I notice) of there being problems. but I can't be 100% for sure of course.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If the car isn't in N the starter is disabled. If he can hear a "click" means the car is indeed in N and ready to fire.
I didn't interpret the "click" he mentioned as the starter clicking initially so the neutral thing came to mind.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Inspect Clean and tighten battery terminals!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Was looking at doing a S85 rebuild, is this something you’d replace on a rebuild or are they reliable enough?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts