BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

After having my car in the garage changing a lot of the known parts, I’ve put it back together and now having issues with the starter motor.

It spins but doesn’t engage in the flywheel, I’ve rocked the car which sorted it once but now the only way to start it is a push start.

As it’s playing up, I just want to replace it. The question is how hard is it, and is it accessed from driver or passenger side UK?

Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hi all

After having my car in the garage changing a lot of the known parts, I’ve put it back together and now having issues with the starter motor.

It spins but doesn’t engage in the flywheel, I’ve rocked the car which sorted it once but now the only way to start it is a push start.

As it’s playing up, I just want to replace it. The question is how hard is it, and is it accessed from driver or passenger side UK?

Many thanks in advance
:typing:

Adding to this as I’ve just done a starter replacement on my UK RHD car.
Agree with the previous poster that “driver side” and “passenger side” is ambiguous; in the UK, and AFAIK it’s the norm internationally, if you sit in a front seat and hold your right arm out that’s the RHS of the car, if you hold your left arm out that’s the LHS of the car.
The LHS and RHS of the car never changes, regardless of where the driver sits. Even if the driver sits in the middle. So I’ll use LHS and RHS based on that.

The point of this is that the starter motor on my UK car is on the LHS; on the pictures I’ve seen of US cars, it’s on the RHS. The part numbers are different, the position of the pinion gear cutout is reversed.

Whether this should make much difference to the job I have no idea, but with the car on a lift I could not get the starter motor to drop out with the motor heat shield still attached. Removing the heat shield with the starter still in situ (but loose) was reasonably straightforward, and out it came.
The US DIYs I’ve seen (special thanks to CU09’s thread with lots of pictures https://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/255193-pictures-starter-motor-brake-duct-diy.html ) suggest that the motor will come out, and go back, with the shield fitted to it so I attached the shield to the new motor and tried. I just could not get enough clearance to offer it up. There may be a knack, but if there is I haven’t got it; maybe on a RHD car the space is just that bit less. Off with the shield and the starter went up easily and located; fitted the two bolts loosely, offered up the heat shield and fitted that without any problems, then secured the starter fully.

All of this was done on a lift, so I had good access and I could see what I was doing (mostly...) The starter had never been out before and the E12 Torx bolts were tight (as expected after reading the DIYs!) The top one shifted with a combination of 3/8 drive socket, UJ, various extensions and a long breaker bar; the bottom bolt was easy to get at and the breaker bar made easy work of it.

If anyone in the UK is about to do this job, the starter motor is NLA as a new part. The Bosch part number on the original motor is 0 001 110 071, the BMW PN is 1729982
The PN for a genuine Bosch reman unit is 0986 017170, which is what I bought for around £180 (official Bosch dealer on ebay, the security check numbers and hologram on the packaging all checked out okay). I didn’t fancy doing the job twice so I went with the Bosch unit rather than try and do a recon myself...

Hope that might be helpful to any UK owners, maybe Aussie as well (no guarantees!)

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I just did mine. US car so mounted on opposite side from yours. Was actually very straight forward. I'd read some horror stories about frozen bolts but everything came loose just fine. Get the car in the air on jack stands, remove a couple of heat shields, disconnect the wiring and two bolts hold it to the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts