BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Does anybody know how to test or bypass a starter interlock relay (starter immobilisation relay), part number 61358364174 (original OEM part number 61358362101).

I am trying to cure a starting problem and would like to try and avoid £40 for a new relay just to rule that out as I have already tried:
New and fully charged battery.
Checked fuses and grounds (& fuseable link).
Changed main relay.
Changed fuel pump relay, fuel pump & assembly.
Changed MAF.
Tried different ECU/DME
Changed cam position sensor.
Changed crankshaft sensor.
Changed factory alarm.
Changed starter.

Any help would be appreciated as I really want to get it fixed ??????

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Hi Richard ,

Where can the relay be found ?

I'll post one to you to try .

D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be great. It is a 95 with factory one button alarm and the relay is behind the speaker in the passenger foot-well.
I have plenty of spares if you need anything. :)

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I'll have a look tomorrow Richard , I know that I have one somewhere .

Is it a big , red , relay ?

D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much. Mine is a big black relay but it is the original one with the old part number. I am not sure what colour the newer ones are.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Hi Richard ,

Had a look in a couple of cars yesterday , but haven't found one yet .

I have a late , 6 speed , M5 that I'll check today and revert .

D

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I didn't have this relay guys , so if anyone has one , please let Richard know .

D

·
Registered
727 Posts
An old thread on a pain in the arse problem but no resolution!! What happened, did the new relay do the trick? I have a problem where all lights turn on, but no starter when turning the key - it works ok if I jump the solenoid so the starter is not the issue. I'm suspecting an alarm fault (not had one before) or the starter relay!

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Incredible , Dave , as I have just had the same issue with my LE , although this doesn't appear to even have a starter interlock relay in the nearside passenger footwell .

We suspect that the EWS system is at fault and a new key has therefore been ordered .

We'll see .............

·
Registered
727 Posts
Diagnosed my problem, faulty cell on the battery.

Having bought a new interlock relay then dismantled half the interior only to discover my car doesn't have an interlock relay anywhere, I then removed half the intake system to get at the stater, I cleaned all the starter terminals. I removed the relay shunt in the main fuse box, operated the starter and saw there was some voltage there so the thought the problem was then in the wiring.... Half a day later. I worked out what was going on.

And, there is a lesson here. I assumed that just just because I'd completed a 200 mile drive that the problem lay anywhere but with the battery and when I manually jumped the starter motor, the engine started, so of all the things I should have checked, I bypassed the battery as being the problem and didn't measure the exact voltage.

Had I done so I would have found it reading 10.4 volts. I took some booster cables from my wife's Golf and the car started. I then put a charger on my battery (thinking I might have an alternator issue) but it refused to give a charge, going into failsafe mode so it looks like I have a duff cell. The battery is less than 2 years old and orginal BMW so I'll take it back and claim a new one :)

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Thanks for the humble update , Dave .

I approached the issue from the battery suspicion first and then fusible link , fues , starter motor , non existant starter interlock relay and have now arrived at EWS .

We had hoped that a new key would resolve the issue and are yet to successfully diagnose .

Well done for getting to the bottom of your issue !

D

·
Registered
727 Posts
And the problem is back again!

How is everyone, its been a while.... :cheers:

In truth, although I said I fixed the fault in 2012 I have only covered 1500 miles in the Bi-Turbo since then so I'll still refer back to the original fault not quite being fixed, although the new battery did help for a while.

So I'm returning to London on the M40. Sat in traffic going nowhere so I turn the engine off. Turn the key to start and nothing... Can't blame the battery this time as it was fully charged and less than 2 years old.

I'm suspecting the Interlock as a 12V jump on the diagnostic socket starts the car every time. The relay in the fuse box is just a jumper and the terminals to the starter motor are good.

Question: Apart from ignition switch, possibly an interlock relay in footwell, the bridged relay in the fusebox and the starter solenoid - what else should I be looking for? I've not found a definitive wiring diagram for the B10 and this is an annoying fault I would like fixed.

Thanks,

Dave.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts