BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the use of non-BMW starTAC phones, it appears that you must use the BMW phone. I did try using my none BMW 7000series TDMA phone after installation of a BMW phone and it could not be programmed to work in the M5. Also of interest is an accessory part seldem if ever mentioned. The BMW phone can be installed with a RF amplifier, called a "compensator" in BMW speak, to make up for the signal loss in the coax lead to the external antenna. The BMW part # is 84 11 0 009 117 and an installation kit # 84 11 0 017 787. Cost of the amp and installation kit run abour $300 above the standard phone. The compensator had never been seen at my dealership before I ordered it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dear sevoman,

When you say a non BMW 7000 series TDMA phone doesn't work with the BMW system and you cannot program it to work with the M5, do you mean the address book only?

I wish the speakers/microphone would still work 'cause that's all I need.
Can you please clarify?

·
Registered
620 Posts
I plugged in my non-BMW StarTAC and it just kept powering up and down by itself. i.e. So I think it is more than just programming.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Phone has to be programmed with software from Motorola that BMW has authorised them to use on only certain phones. Have been this route. Only way to get one to work is buy it from BMW. Motorola will not program phones after purchase and will not program phones other than those chosen by BMW. I wanted an AT&T One Rate compatable but they would not offer it. Have to wait on the new 8000 series to come out.
Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts