BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my dealer re whether the new tri-mode Startac ($250 with a one-year contract at Verizon/Bell Atlantic Mobile)works with the BMW Startac kit. Logic says that it would since it is basically the same phone, but my dealer told me that it is not compatible and that I would have to pay $1500 ($900 for the kit, $600 for the phone) to get the BMW version.

I am tempted to doubt my dealer (since he may just want to sell the $600 phone) and test it anyway since. Has anyone does this? I am also placing a call to Motorola to see what they say and will post accordingly.

One nice aspect of using the phone that comes from Bell Atlantic is that it can be used with their national calling plan...key for anyone who travels alot.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't live to far away and I already have purchased the BMW phone and adaptor kit. If you send me the phone I could test in in my unit and let you know if it works or perhaps if someone has a phone in your area try it in a BMW unit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have already installed the BMW phone. In the instructions page 44 you can program a secondary phone by following the instructions. Once programmed, the secondary phone becomes the primary. I have not tried to do this, but I can't see why it wouldn't work, the phones (my BMW and my Verizon) are identical. What I don't know is if you can purchase the mounting kit without the phone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
your dealer is simply trying to sell the phone.

the starTac 71xx series is compatible with the BMW adapter kit.

unless the BMW on the phone is a really big deal to you, save your money and get the device somewhere else...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not to nitpick, but Motorola's website shows Startacs as 77XX and 78XX series (no 71XX as mentioned in the last post). Do you know which works - if any ? The consensus up to this point has been that none but the BMW phone will work in the adapter. I'd be delighted to hear of anyone who's successfully used a non BMW phone.

Kevin

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had Verizon/Bell Atlantic check out the BMW phone...they say no difference. The BMW OBC uploads some of the information stored on the phone, but it is only the previous calls. The Startac coupled with Truesync data organizer is really a powerful tool. Your other Startac phones, although i have not yet tried my other (two) will work.

ALSO I read a service bulletin from BMW marketing that says BMW will offer a VOICE ACTIVATION MODULE for all E39s porduced after 01 2000. This was made a priority after so many of us complained that for all the $$$ spent getting an integrated phone that it did not have voice activation. (What was BMW thinking?) The kit will be available this summer. IN ADDITION, the module is also supposed to allow the use of DUAL MODE and TRI MODE phones (these scan two digital bands and one analog band) so that you can use the phone with the ATT ONE RATE PLAN and other plans that utilize multi band phones to scan more than one frequency (very helpful when roaming).

·
Registered
27 Posts
How about Vader phones? They have the same
connector and use the same chargers as startac. Anybody tried one of those?

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I can't help myself here.

StarTacs offered by Sprint and GTE (and probably Verizon/Bell Atlantic, but not sure) have the Phone.com microbrowser in them. This means you can screen your email, check your stocks, buy cooks and CD's, find out which movies are playing, find the nearest Kinko's, etc. - AND make calls.

I have no idea whether models these work in the car, but I don't see why not.

The company I work for (Phone.com) pretty much single-handledly invented this technology about 5 years ago, and remains at the center of an industry that has now standardized the approach (see http://www.wapforum.org). There are nearly 10M people in Japan already using this; there will be millions in the U.S within 2 months. Nearly every phone Sprint sells, every phone Nextel sells - are "wireless internet ready". GTE, BAM, Airtouch also offer the service in the U.S. AT&T and others are following suit within the next few months.

End of commercial.

If you're interested, visit http://www.phone.com

Yes, it was Phone.com's success that allowed me to buy my M5!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Woah. My dad knows Alain Rossman. He said that he paid $350k for a Z8. Rather moronic if you ask me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my bad...i was referring to the 77xx series phones. this was the dealer's initial question as well, and i was there when the "tech" came in to confirm the compatibility.

i have no information yay/nay regarding the 78xx series.

thx

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just got the star tac if they come out with this MODULE?? will it be able to be retro-fitted into my car? u think they will charge for this??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts