BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sound: quick tick, like vanos rattle, but slightly louder, then would disapear.

Well, most of these threads are looking for suggestions, but this one is to provide a reference point to other potential causes.

Background: When cold- start up tick, goes away pretty quickly 2-3 miles if really cold, only can hear it for 5 -20 seconds if its been sitting for 3-5 hours, and no sounds if a hot start or when running and warm.

well I was replacing the drive belts and checking all the accessories for play, and sure enough my powersteering pump has some play in it. So the noise has been power steering pump failure. I confirmed this later by getting under the car during a cold start and one of the bearings in the pump must be failing.

Not that big of a deal, and I'll get to it soon enought, I'm just glad I was finally able to track down the sound.

Best of luck to those trying to track down strange sounds.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Care to disclose your odometer at point of pump failure?

*The car had a power steering leak when I bought it and I replaced all the hoses and fixed the leak, but the previous owner might have been low on fluid for too long.

Reactions: chowdah

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Lifter tap until oil pressure builds up in the collapsed lifter. I'll bet you've got some sludging issues. Do yourself a favor, do an oil change asap. Before you do it, add 1qt of Dextron/Mercon ATF to the oil and go for a drive to get the oil hot. Ideally you'll want to do 20-30mi on the highway, then do a hot oil change. This will cure your lifter tap.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lifter tap until oil pressure builds up in the collapsed lifter. I'll bet you've got some sludging issues. Do yourself a favor, do an oil change asap. Before you do it, add 1qt of Dextron/Mercon ATF to the oil and go for a drive to get the oil hot. Ideally you'll want to do 20-30mi on the highway, then do a hot oil change. This will cure your lifter tap.

I've been swaping 10-60 every 5K, probably doing a change this weekend or next. It does sound very similar to lifter tap, honestly does. Thats what I thought It probably was and was just going to flush it untill I came across the PS pump. I can try to shoot a video before I swap it, but its for sure the pump.

Probably a decent idea to flush it anyway with ATF anyway, couldn't hurt and at 69K I'm sure would do it some good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PS pumps with low fluid make a thumping noise, more like rod knock. If it's a sharp tapping sound that goes with RPM, it's more likely that it's the lifters sticking (common on the S62). Let's see the video!

Sounds good. I'll try to shoot some video the weekend.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just had my belts and a power steering hose replaced as well with about the same mileage, 71k. Just got the same tick you described and ticks with the RPMs.

I just did an oil change 1k miles ago. So your saying just add a quart of ATF to the existing oil, drive for 30 min on the eway, then quickly do an oil change nice and hot? I just need to wait to order some new oil first. Unless you think I can use something from a local parts store. Id hate to get into an oil question, from what I understand, people here only use the BMW stuff.

btw, is this because of lack of use. Ive only been using this car maybe twice a month.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I just had my belts and a power steering hose replaced as well with about the same mileage, 71k. Just got the same tick you described and ticks with the RPMs.

I just did an oil change 1k miles ago. So your saying just add a quart of ATF to the existing oil, drive for 30 min on the eway, then quickly do an oil change nice and hot? I just need to wait to order some new oil first. Unless you think I can use something from a local parts store. Id hate to get into an oil question, from what I understand, people here only use the BMW stuff.

btw, is this because of lack of use. Ive only been using this car maybe twice a month.

Thanks.
I would use the same brand/type of oil you had in there. LiquiMoly 10-60, or TWS are what I'd recommend. Lack of use does contribute to this, but varnishing is the real culprit.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just experienced tap after an oil change...

So I had a bad oil level/temp sensor. Swapped it out and saw that my oil was actually remarkably low. 4 quarts came out (cold). I did not do a traditional "hot" oil change since I was just going to put that old oil back in (1200miles old or so). Cold oil or not, 4qts seemed VERY low (leaking rear main seal). The oil was also kind of dirty for just 1200miles. So while the BMW dealer didn't have the Castrol Edge 10w60 i used originally, they did have their own "brand" of 10w60 that I read online was also safe for the S62. I didn't think anything of it. So I put just 6 quarts in (did not change filter) and idled for a few seconds to check the dip stick. Looked fine. probably 80% topped off on the sticks "range". Checked the level once more after a longer idle. No problems. On the 4th start, the ticking began. Coming from the right bank (driver's perspective).

I heard lifter tick can literally be a ticking time bomb. Would you recommend I add some Dextron or other cleaner and still go for a drive with this tick/tap?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts