BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you need to use 'star' rated tyres on your M5?
Mine does not have star rated tyres on it (they are the same make and model tyres, just not star rated)
My indie said it can affect drivetrain/gearbox etc etc (especially on an X5 AWD) but supposedly can do on the M5 (he said all M cars should have star rated tyres)
I don't necessarily agree for the M5?
Just wondering about everyones thoughts on it?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No, it's a manufacture and OCM working together to get top dollar from people that don't have the time or knowledge to understand tire tech and ratings. Tire Rack is your friend..,,

Cheers!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I thought as much...........

so just to sound really dumb...............hypothetically if i was to put cheaper tyres on it (say Falken, Kuhmo (from their performance range) etc etc) it would not affect drivetrain/smg/diff wear and tear or anything? (other than handling and grip characteristics)
The reason I'm asking is that my indie said it does (which sounds crap to me and sounds like the run of the mill BMW answer).....i thought having over 500hp and an SMG gearbox on setting 6 would be what affects wear and tear on the drivetrain/diff/smg, not rolling resistance of a fricken tyre)
I just want to have the argument with my indie............

·
Registered
224 Posts
correct, it will not damage anything, except maybe bumpers/fenders when you lose control due to reduced grip lol

the only thing that will hurt the car is running different outer diameter tires.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
As stated above OD is all that matters to the car everything else is BS.

If budget is what you are looking for then find the best rated tire within your budget. If budget is not an issue then top end is what I would suggest PSS being in the top two. New tech is out now though, but I have no experience with it so won't comment!

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts