BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

I have a problem with my beast stalling every now and again. It happens when I am slowing down and put the clutch down (not breaking hard), if I pop the clutch back up it jump starts no problem. <o:p></o:p>

BMW have replaced both MAF's (definitely notice the difference) and also the Lambda sensor after one of their master technicians spent a day with it.<o:p></o:p>

After replacing these parts the car runs more smoothly but the stalling does occur. It doesn't happen all the time, probably once every 2-3 days.<o:p></o:p>

BMW seem baffled. It happens with a full tank of fuel (97ron), on flat level roads. My beast has covered 75K. Fuel consumption is normal and the car feels fine. I'd like to get this sorted as it stalled crossing a junction at low speed the other day and the steering gets quite scary without the assist.<o:p></o:p>

Anyone experience anything similar??<o:p></o:p>

Max<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
maxm5 said:
Hi Everyone<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I have a problem with my beast stalling every now and again. It happens when I am slowing down and put the clutch down (not breaking hard), if I pop the clutch back up it jump starts no problem. <o:p></o:p>

BMW have replaced both MAF's (definitely notice the difference) and also the Lambda sensor after one of their master technicians spent a day with it.<o:p></o:p>

After replacing these parts the car runs more smoothly but the stalling does occur. It doesn't happen all the time, probably once every 2-3 days.<o:p></o:p>

BMW seem baffled. It happens with a full tank of fuel (97ron), on flat level roads. My beast has covered 75K. Fuel consumption is normal and the car feels fine. I'd like to get this sorted as it stalled crossing a junction at low speed the other day and the steering gets quite scary without the assist.<o:p></o:p>

On turbo cars, it is an indication of a bad bypass valve. I would check all the vacuum hose VERY carefully, as sometimes a tiny crack can develop, and only opens when the motor shifts when under braking. Vaccum leak could cause stalling. Also check motor mounts, and check the idle control valve. Or, just stop using the brakes!! :D
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree that if you have had the MAF's replaced, then it is eithier 3 things.

1. ICV (Idle Control Valve)
2. One of CPS's (cam position sensors)
3. Crankcase sensor.

Go get a code reader and read the codes the next time the engine dies. This will be a good place to start and tell BMW to start looking.

Luke

·
Registered
213 Posts
maxm5 said:

I had a very similar problem... BMW initially also denied there was a problem, after three different stealers it turned out to be a cam position sensor.

It kept stalling when the tech moved it into the workshop :wroom:, he straight away said... "oh thats the cam sensor...", a warranty claim later and it runs just like new again...

-Steve

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is it also possible that you have clogged cats? ie: the cat substrate material breaks away and cloggs up the exhaust until you get them hot?

I think my cats "broke loose" a few weeks ago (heard a tinny metal noise in the tranny tunnel followed by a large loss of power coupled with increased backpressure). Pulled over and checked under the car to see if I ran something over! 15 minutes later it seemed to go away mostly, but the loss of power at top-end is still noticable on occasion. I also have the same stalling issue. I did have a cam sensor failure code and had the apparent culprit replaced. Car still stalls on occasion. I didnt have the camsensor error last trip to the shop, but it seems that I have bad O2 readings aft of the cats...I dont know if this is indicative of cats going bad...sounds like it, but its my theory that I am throwing out to the more-experienced...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions. My beast goes in to BMW Heathrow tomorrow for the third time. I've made a note of the possible problems and I'll be 'suggesting' they investigate harder this time. I'll post an update when I get my beast back. In the meantime I'll have to survive driving the 116 courtesey car!!zzzzz

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well after going into BMW Heathrow twice since my last post, they still didn't manage to fix the problem - nothing stored in the fault memory and it wouldn't repeat the problem while they had the car.

Anyhow had a yellow engine light on at the weekend so called out BMW emergency assist. They plugged in and guess what...lots of fault codes relating to the CPS. You guessed right RAMPAGE!

Just got the beast back from BMW Reading and they have replaced the CPS under warranty. It's fixed - Hurrah!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Excellent! With the amount of knowledge on this board, I wonder whether we would ever need to go see a dealer workshop again!! :cheers:

·
Registered
168 Posts
this has been raised on a number of occasions.. im glad we finally appear to have a fix... will inform the boys on the UK m5 site..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts