BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my way home from work tonight, my car started sputtering and eventually stalled out. It won't start back up again [edit: it does turn on, but doesn't idle and dies soon after]. I'm currently sitting waiting for a tow truck.

I opened the hood to see my oil separator hoses cracked very badly.

How much potential damage could there be to the engine?

Also, while I wait for a couple new hoses to be delivered, can I (please don't kill me for this) make a couple out of rubber hoses one would find at a hardware store?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
You can replace the formed hoses with neoprene hose from the hardware store. It is unseemly, but it can be done while you wait for the proper part to arrive at the dealer.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will try To find the neoprene hoses. What are the chances the car will have no issues once I have the new hoses connected?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
That's not why your car stalled. I'd check fuel pressure first, your car should at least turn on or make an effort to turn on.

-R

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry, it actually does turn on, then it dies.

I'm not sure why I said otherwise, i think I'm just a bit flustered and not thinking straight.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I tried finding a hose that would do the job. The diameter wasn't wide enough, plus it was not very flexible. I'm not sure it would have bent how I wanted it to :-/

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
I also don't think it is the hoses that is stalling your car. Simple way to prove it is unplug the MAFs then the unmetered air that the holes are letting in is irrelevant.
5/8" I.D. vinyl hose works well and a 1/2" copper pumping elbow will make the turn.
Oil return tubes.jpg

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's a nice setup! It doesn't seem like it will break down any time soom, and if it does, the hardware store has plenty more.

The reason why I think it's the hoses is because I put a little duct tape on the tears, and then the car started. After a couple minutes, it stalled out again, though. In the end, I really hope it's the hoses and not something more serious. Truthfully, it had been a while since I opened the hood, so I'm not sure how long these hoses have been torn.

If it's not the hoses, what do you guys think it could be, and how bad could it be?

·
Registered
10,111 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help.

My car is still at the mechanic's, and they have yet to look at it. I stopped down and put new hoses in myself, wishing desperately that it would fix the problem, but it didn't. You were right. It looks like it's the fuel pump (although not yet confirmed by the mechanic)

I'm trying to source one out. Should I buy genuine OEM or will one from Airtex or Spectra be okay? They are about $200 cheaper, but I also don't want to go through this again soon.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Car will definitely run a bit better with the new hoses (mine did and mine were like you described). Also if you need a pump, I have an OEM one for cheap, 50k miles on it. Swapped it out for the Aeromotive 11140 when I installed my RK kit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts