BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need advice from our resident clutch experts like Lscman, RRoberts, and Rob from UUC, and any others.

As I have said, I really want to retain my stock dual mass flywheel because I want absolutely no "rollover" noise and am unimpressed by light flywheel applications on the M5.

Therefore I called a SPEC clutch tech. about the stage 1 kit. Apparently, the kit is compatible with the stock flywheel, offers a "higher torque" organic disk, and a higher clamping force pressure plate. The tech. there says the pedal pressure is only about 5-10% greater.

This package seems like a viable alternative to the stock clutch. What effects will a higher clamping force plate have on clutch action and will this setup mitigate the stock clutch weakness? What do you guys think? Will driveability be compromised? Will the problem Rob mentions with BMW's self adjusting clutch mechanism waste this clutch too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stan. However, they only mention the overly extreme stage 3 kit in that thread. My question is about the stage 1 kit that seems quite streetable.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT said:
Thanks Stan. However, they only mention the overly extreme stage 3 kit in that thread. My question is about the stage 1 kit that seems quite streetable.
All of the comments in the previous thread apply, with the execption of slightly smoother engagement with the organic SPEC Stg1.

You still have the fundamental deficiencies of insufficient size, clamping, and SAC.

·
Registered
226 Posts
HBRAMSTEDT,

A friend of mine got the spec stage one clutch installed in a m5. The biggest problem it had was the friction point was maybe one inch from the firewall. After we drove my m5 with a RPS disk & presure plate in it the difference was day & night. So watch out it is not very easy to power shift the car with that friction point. My friend ended up with a sachs set up. ouich

Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts