BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought my '00 M5 with 26k mi. & original clutch. It was already slipping so I had it warrantied and after only 3k mi on the new clutch and flywheel (and a few hard shifts!) the new clutch was slipping..badly! I have been researching this site since I got the car because I knew I would be needing a "beefier" clutch.

After much research as well as talking to a few people I had decided to use the UUC Stage II (Kevlar) clutch. THANKFULLY I talked directly with Rob Levinson at UUC for about 30-45 minutes during the ordering process and explained to him my driving pattern. After listening to how deamnding I am on the clutch, Rob told me that the stage II clutch would NOT be the correct clutch for me and suggested I use the Stage III (6-puck ceramic) clutch.

I was VERY HESITANT because I had been told that the 6-puck ceramic clutch would be very hard to utilize in stop-and-go traffic and in general would be either "on" or "off". Essientially that it was only for racing and would be a nightmare to use in everyday driving. I AutoCross the car, but my main use is everyday stop-and-go traffic. Rob explained to me that I was mistaken about the way the Stage III would engage and that it WAS NOT hard to navigate the clutch in stop-and-go traffic. The reason (as he explained it) was becasue the clutch had a spring loaded hub, and because I had a 2-ton car, that "take-off" and clutch engagement could be smooth. He exlained that while it was true that the "window" of clutch engagement was narrower/smaller than what I was used to with the OEM, that it was not going to be a huge leap/difference.

I trusted Rob L. @ UUC and ordered the Stage III and had it installed and have 1-week of driving with it.

ROB KNOWS HIS STUFF! This clutch is a dream come true! While it is true, there is a "narrower" window of engagement, it is not bad at all. It is very easy to navigate in stop-and-go traffic. It was recommended to drive it in stop-and-go traffic for 450mi for proper break-in. That was a blast! The best thing about it now that it is broke in is that hard shifts are NOT A PROBLEM.

With the new LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL (13.5lbs lighter!) my biggest adjustment is watching the RPM's streak and my ability to "GRAB-N-GO" WITH THE SHIFTER!!!

IMO (& experience!) the UUC 6-puck clutch truely is the only way to go for my hard driving and hard shifting. This clutch is out of this world! When UUC first released this clutch a fw months ago I had complete "sticker shock" and said ''no way would I spend $2800 for a clutch!". But I must admit...it is worth EVERY PENNY!

I also had the UUC Evo 3 Short Shift Kit as well as the DSSR installed at the same time, but I will save that review for another time.

Thank you Rob Levinson for the time you took with me for consultation, but most of all thanks for a truely WONDERFUL PRODUCT! It is a challange to find the words to properly express just how wonderful this clutch really is!

In conclusion:
Pros:
1)The ability to "hard shift"
2)NO SLIPPAGE....NONE!
3)The ease of use during everyday driving
4)The confidence I gain while driving and shifting knowing I can shft ahrd w/o slipping
5)The excellent consultation from Rob Levinson
6)Knowing I'm not going to "roast" this clutch immediatel & should get a long life from it.
7)The speed of acceleration due to the faster rev's provided by the Lightweight Flywheel
8)The clutch pedal is the EXACT SAME pressure as OEM thanks to the included slave cylinder
9)If I add more HP Mods this clutch is ready and up to the task, which is a very nice feeling knowing that I don't have to worry about upgrading the clutch as I add mods!

Cons:
1) There is a SLIGHT "chatter" (gear lash) but ONLY at idle and only with the clutch disengaged. I repeat the "chatter" is NOT loud. Barely audible from inside the car ONLY if you have the radio OFF and it is absolutely quiet while listening. If I have the radio ON or if I'm engaged in conversation I would be hard pressed to even hear any chatter at all. The "chatter" can be completely eliminated by 2 methods: a) raise the idle slightly (1500 rpms) or engage the clutch. Really the sound is so slight it is not a problem...at all!
2) A couple of communication problems with UUC during shipping. Not from/with Rob, but the slave cylinder was not shipped with the clutch kit and had to be shipped after I discovered it was not with the kit. I also was not reminded (nor was I shipped) the special tool required in order to remove the original flywheel. BUT to UUC's credit, they OVERNIGHTED the slave cylinder to me and I had it the next morning. GOOD JOB!

Bottom Line:
If you drive your M5 hard & are sick and tired of the WEAK OEM clutch. If you are tired of your clutch slipping and burning & continually having to replace it, then you will ABSOLUTELY love this clutch! The initial outlay of $$ is actually QUITE A BARGAN considering what you get in return!!!!:thumbsup:

I think I covered everthing, but if anybody has any question I will be happy to answer them as best as I can. I will also post updates on my experience with the clutch as necessary!

Robert:M5launch:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Robert,

I would be hard pressed to see a better write up on the Stg 3 6puck Carbon disk/flywheel pkg offered by UUC. In addition, you are 100% correct in the fact that Rob L. knows his stuff, and knows it beyond anyones understanding.

I am very excited right now because i have the same clutch going into my car and i too was worried about the on/off trait of such a clutch. Sure, Rob and I have spent MONTHS talking about the clutch, but that still not a non-biased member posting his thoughts.

Wonderful!

Stumbo-- i think that robert is saying that you can just drop the clutch at any point without having to worry about slippage or burning. In a m5 that is tuned to less than 500 hp, i would expect that you could do just about anything you want without worry.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes I am standard but I have some slipage, and am concidering UUC replacement.

But just don't think I need to go overkill.

I'll take that question elsewhere ;) The S3 sounds awsome and will be a dream (plus everthing else) for the future.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
stumbo said:
Can better describe your definition of hard driving ?

Dumping the clutch at 3000 ?
This reply say's it best:
"Stumbo-- i think that robert is saying that you can just drop the clutch at any point without having to worry about slippage or burning. In a m5 that is tuned to less than 500 hp, i would expect that you could do just about anything you want without worry."

Also Stubo, get what you want out of my review, but there is NO WAY I would consider the Stage III 6-puck ceramic clutch with lightweight flywheel to be "overkill". Even if I never tracked my car I would be MORE THAN happy with the performance of this clutch in stop-and-go city (everday) traffic conditions. This clutch kit truely is a "no-comprimise" solution to the weak clutch situation that is in every e39 M5.

To RennSportSC'dKellenersM5: Glad to hear you are in the process of having yours installed. The observation/review I submitted is totally unbiased and true (in my experience). I will be anxious to hear your review to see if you concur. When will you have yours installed and on-the-road? Will you give us your review?

Lastly, it's nice to know that as I move forward with additional HP mods, this clutch setup is up to the task...even if I Super Charge!

Robert<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cheers, I know, I've been thinking of the S1, just trying to get a feel. I'm signing off this thread - I'm not worthy :D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
1-month update

The clutch is "bullet-proof" thus far. NO SLIPPAGE...none, zero!

The slightly narrower "window" of engagement is still there, but I have gotten used to it and have only stalled/killed the engine one (1) time during take-off, and that was pulling out of my driveway. But, I have noticed that during takeoff I simply "rev" the engine some while engaging the clutch and I take-off from a complete stop smoothly. This takes a little getting used to, because the OEM clutch would certainly "roast" under the same takeoff procedure.

Another adjustment has been what I would consider "hard shifts". Most notably shifting from 2nd-3rd. Because the clutch WON'T SLIP, I have found myself easing the clutch out as opposed to "slamming" it. When hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd I feel (somethings?) got to give, and because the clutch doesn't slip (a small amount would be nice!) all that torgue (shifting at 6500 rpms) goes directly to the drive-train...that's gotta hurt, & I feel somethings gotta give at some point (tires & drive train?).

I mention the two items above only to be totally forthright in evaluating this product. Both items: 1) slightly higher rpm's on take-off, & 2) easing the clutch engagement on the 2nd-3rd shift when done at =>6500 rpm's are NOT MAJOR ISSUES, but rather a learning process needed to better help the situation of having a clutch that WILL NOT SLIP.

Do I now wish I had installed the UUC Stage I (organic) clutch? I have certainly thought about it, and realize the Stage I would be easier to utilize for the driver that never tracked the car & never makes hard shifts at high rpm's. But for my driving habits, I feel I made the exact right choice and I am still EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this product and would highly recommend it.

Lastly I will address the "chatter" (while at idle with the clutch disengaged)issue. Folk's, I will put this as bluntly as possible...this is not an issue for me. The "chatter" is certainly still there, & has not diminished. But, the "chatter" is:
1) Barely audible from inside the vehicle only if no radio is on and no
conversation taking place.
2) Only "chatters" when at idle while the clutch is not engaged.
3) Easily remedied by either engaging the clutch or slightly increasing the
rpms .
4) Let's face it, how often am I sitting in the car at a stop, with the clutch
disengaged, radio "off", & windows down? The slightly audible "chatter" is a VERY small price to pay to have a non-slipping clutch, and the confidence that comes with it!

Hope I answered any questions you may have regarding this product. If not, please feel free to ask and I will answer best I can. I will be giving future updates as my expereinces with the clutch/flywheel warrant.

Robert

·
Registered
784 Posts
Re: 1-month update

1badm5 said:
The clutch is "bullet-proof" thus far. NO SLIPPAGE...none, zero!

The slightly narrower "window" of engagement is still there, but I have gotten used to it and have only stalled/killed the engine one (1) time during take-off, and that was pulling out of my driveway. But, I have noticed that during takeoff I simply "rev" the engine some while engaging the clutch and I take-off from a complete stop smoothly. This takes a little getting used to, because the OEM clutch would certainly "roast" under the same takeoff procedure.

Another adjustment has been what I would consider "hard shifts". Most notably shifting from 2nd-3rd. Because the clutch WON'T SLIP, I have found myself easing the clutch out as opposed to "slamming" it. When hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd I feel (somethings?) got to give, and because the clutch doesn't slip (a small amount would be nice!) all that torgue (shifting at 6500 rpms) goes directly to the drive-train...that's gotta hurt, & I feel somethings gotta give at some point (tires & drive train?).

I mention the two items above only to be totally forthright in evaluating this product. Both items: 1) slightly higher rpm's on take-off, & 2) easing the clutch engagement on the 2nd-3rd shift when done at =>6500 rpm's are NOT MAJOR ISSUES, but rather a learning process needed to better help the situation of having a clutch that WILL NOT SLIP.

Do I now wish I had installed the UUC Stage I (organic) clutch? I have certainly thought about it, and realize the Stage I would be easier to utilize for the driver that never tracked the car & never makes hard shifts at high rpm's. But for my driving habits, I feel I made the exact right choice and I am still EXTREMELY happy & satisfied with this product and would highly recommend it.

Lastly I will address the "chatter" (while at idle with the clutch disengaged)issue. Folk's, I will put this as bluntly as possible...this is not an issue for me. The "chatter" is certainly still there, & has not diminished. But, the "chatter" is:
1) Barely audible from inside the vehicle only if no radio is on and no
conversation taking place.
2) Only "chatters" when at idle while the clutch is not engaged.
3) Easily remedied by either engaging the clutch or slightly increasing the
rpms .
4) Let's face it, how often am I sitting in the car at a stop, with the clutch
disengaged, radio "off", & windows down? The slightly audible "chatter" is a VERY small price to pay to have a non-slipping clutch, and the confidence that comes with it!

Hope I answered any questions you may have regarding this product. If not, please feel free to ask and I will answer best I can. I will be giving future updates as my expereinces with the clutch/flywheel warrant.

Robert
A very nice write up.

Back when this clutch was first being brought to market Rob furnished it to me so I could install it in my SuperCharged Z8........this was number 1 and since that day I have never looked back. It is a very nice system........that works.

Best regards,

Shadowman

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Sounds like an excellent upgrade - nice writeup too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Re: 1-month update

Robert,

Good to hear the 11" stage III is so streetable. I think I'd choose stage I for stock-ish power, unless I spent lots of weekends at the drag strip.

The high torque V8 Corvette road racers & autocrossers do fine with an 11" organic (75K+ mi longevity), so I would think a similar unit would suit the masses of M5 owners. The key difference is the added weight of the M5 which discourages wheelspin & promotes clutch slip.The really serious Corvette drag racers with stock-ish power see longevity issues (30K mi or less). Of course, some leave the line at 3K RPM and intentionally slip the clutch to keep the engine in it's sweetspot while avoiding wheelspin. This burns up disks.

Rick

1 - 12 of 12 Posts