BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one tried the ST Speedtech Coilovers made by KW? They are the same as KWV1 but they use galvanized steel instead of the INOX shock body.

ST Suspensions - coilover kits

A lot of people have used them on the e46 m3 and liked them. I had kwv2 on my old car and enjoyed the kw's every bit. It would be nice to get opinions on these if anyone has them.

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
First time of hearing this product for me. Since I am in the market to buy coilovers, I might order ST Coilovers next week :1: looks promising.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First time of hearing this product for me. Since I am in the market to buy coilovers, I might order ST Coilovers next week :1: looks promising.
Yea Im in the market too. Its going to be these or the bc racing coilovers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We can be twinsies!
hiha

Does anyone know how well BC coilovers last in the snow. Has it ever seized up? That's pretty much the only thing I'm worried about.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I would aovid non treated coilover kit.
I remember one of my buddy has KW before the INOX shock body even available.

After only a year the threaded collar seized up terrible from the oxidation and corrosion.

Here is another alternative:FK coilover which has treated (corrosion resistant) shock body.
Between BC Racing and FK, I think FK has been around longer

Currently ECS Tuning has great discount going on:
BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L > Suspension > Coil Overs > ES#248308 Silverline E39 M5 Coilover Kit-Non-Adjustable - FKXBM85

Regardz,

J Irwan

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

After only a year the threaded collar seized up terrible from the oxidation and corrosion.

Here is another alternative:FK coilover which has treated (corrosion resistant) shock body.

BMW E39 M5 S62 5.0L > Suspension > Coil Overs > ES#248308 Silverline E39 M5 Coilover Kit-Non-Adjustable - FKXBM85

Regardz,

J Irwan
Thanks! I'll take a look at these as well!

·
Registered
102 Posts

Regardz,

J Irwan
Wow thanks for the info, I think this is the one that is going to be in my car ;).

·
Registered
171 Posts
is silverline is better than st??

·
Registered
171 Posts
i just order one too. hope its good

·
Registered
63 Posts
i just order one too. hope its good
Did you ever get your ECS Tuning Coil-Overs and install them? If so, what do you think of them? I wish they were still available at $799, but now they're back ordered until June 22nd and listed at $1499.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
But, according to the Tirerack write-up:

"Modeled after the KW Variant 1 Coil-Overs (ST Suspensions’ parent company product), ST Coil-Overs are constructed of high-grade steel, heavily galvanized for exceptional rust protection."

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe some of you kw/st coilover owners can chime in.

Does anyone know what extra parts I need if I order KW/ST coilovers? Apparently from the search I need to get top mounts since it doesn't come with the package? anything else I need? Do I order these separately from somewhere else? I didn't have this issue when I had the e92.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Apparently from the search I need to get top mounts since it doesn't come with the package? anything else I need? Do I order these separately from somewhere else? I didn't have this issue when I had the e92.
Just like with my Bilstein PSS9...my indy ordered the top mounts from dealer. There's a thread on here that J Irwan posted with part numbers..

Reactions: CPI

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just like with my Bilstein PSS9...my indy ordered the top mounts from dealer. There's a thread on here that J Irwan posted with part numbers..

Thanks for the clarification! I saw that thread too.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
FK don't have a good rep with many cars. The KW's received really high praise on my last car (silverlines, I think, adjustable platforms and adjustable shocks), the FK's not so. I didn't mind them, but they were absolutely rock hard. Not a comfortable ride at all, very hardcore. The spring/damper balance simply wasn't correct but this may not be the case with this car.

Comments on corrosion - Should coilovers be fit and forget? My view was to remove every so often to clean and maintain. Not every week, but at least once a year...?

Has anyone considered D2's at all, not searched for comments on these but seeing as we're chucking different brands around, it seemed worth mentioning, get some good reviews fairly universally.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have the ST SpeedTech for about 3 months now. Even took out the front helper spring in order to clear my 19x9.5 ET22 fronts with 275/30/19 tire. Still rides silky smooth and my car is pretty low. Don't really have to worry about corrosion since I'm in CA but I feel like the zinc plating coupled with KW suspension quality/technology in addition to price, the ST is hard to pass up on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the ST SpeedTech for about 3 months now. Even took out the front helper spring in order to clear my 19x9.5 ET22 fronts with 275/30/19 tire. Still rides silky smooth and my car is pretty low. Don't really have to worry about corrosion since I'm in CA but I feel like the zinc plating coupled with KW suspension quality/technology in addition to price, the ST is hard to pass up on.
do you have pics? i'd like to see as i am looking for the same set up even with the same tire size

1 - 20 of 59 Posts