BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be placing an order for a set of SuperSprint headers very shortly and need advise on if SS Race cats will be a wise addition. I currently running a SS x-pipe and SS Magnums. I currenly have 145,000 miles on the clock and I'm still running the orginal cats.

Thanks in advance for fellow members advise.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hey man. Im going to go with cheap magnaflow cats. Why not do evolve headers?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Well....the only thing stopping me from running a complete SS exhaust system is the price. I just installed the headers, and will be installing the race cats and X-pipe eventually.

If cost isn't a factor, because it is costly to do both, then I don't see why not? It will be a rather loud exhaust system with headers, cats, and xpipe, but the performance would be worth it. Ask Aaron (member Churious) from brecus.com. He has a full SS system (with the exception of magnaflow cans).

I don't know what factors you have to consider, but if finances weren't an issue, I would do it.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I will be placing an order for a set of SuperSprint headers very shortly and need advise on if SS Race cats will be a wise addition. I currently running a SS x-pipe and SS Magnums. I currenly have 145,000 miles on the clock and I'm still running the orginal cats.

Thanks in advance for fellow members advise.

DE CATS ! :thumbsup:

..and plant a few trees too, of course :)

·
Company Representative for Brecus Motorsport
773 Posts
Well....the only thing stopping me from running a complete SS exhaust system is the price. I just installed the headers, and will be installing the race cats and X-pipe eventually.

If cost isn't a factor, because it is costly to do both, then I don't see why not? It will be a rather loud exhaust system with headers, cats, and xpipe, but the performance would be worth it. Ask Aaron (member Churious) from brecus.com. He has a full SS system (with the exception of magnaflow cans).

I don't know what factors you have to consider, but if finances weren't an issue, I would do it.
Magnaflow? Please JCM... :Thumbdown: I am running Meisterschaft cans currently and possibly moving to Eisenmann in a couple weeks. :haha:

I have run my system both ways. With stock cats and race cats. I love the race cats. The extra HP and bite is glorious. Not to mention the new found scream from the tail pipes. :hihi:

Aaron

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Drew, Every time I've put price over quality on my beast, I've mostly been disappointed. Not to say Evolve is of lesser quality...I just don't know that much about them. Was price your main factor in your choice of Evolve?

i

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnaflow? Please JCM... :Thumbdown: I am running Meisterschaft cans currently and possibly moving to Eisenmann in a couple weeks. :haha:

I have run my system both ways. With stock cats and race cats. I love the race cats. The extra HP and bite is glorious. Not to mention the new found scream from the tail pipes. :hihi:

Aaron

Aaron, do you have a video clip you can post?

·
Company Representative for Brecus Motorsport
773 Posts
Aaron, do you have a video clip you can post?
Sure.

Last week driving...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dbec8v3K3M8?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the track...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPxDqhzhO7A?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pulling on the neighbors car...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hARx7seS7mg?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Full system clip...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ssL76yZjZDQ?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
832 Posts
If you got the cash then why not. They'll be a perfect fit between your headers and X pipe. It'll save you the hassle of pulling out your system and putting CATS in if you decide to do it in future.

Reactions: EQ Tuning

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Your cats are getting up their with age.... If you have the funds its a sweet addition to your exhaust system.... More importantly I hope you spoke with Brecus about getting a Powerchip tune... Software is very important!!!! especially with such an expensive Beast:M5rev::M5launch:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Please, take it from me DO NOT buy the magnaflows. I have had them on my car for approx a year and one is bad already. They are entirely to small for our cars, but they do sound amazing with the muffler delete

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Hey Drew, Every time I've put price over quality on my beast, I've mostly been disappointed. Not to say Evolve is of lesser quality...I just don't know that much about them. Was price your main factor in your choice of Evolve?
Price has nothing to do with it. The Evolve headers cost more and are much higher quality with higher proven results.

Regarding cats, no one has been able to give me solid reasoning. I have heard so much banter that they do help, don't help, stock is the best, stock sucks, magnaflows are fine, magnaflows die quickly, etc. etc. I am not going with magnaflow because they are cheap but because they have the best cost-benefit relationship. I was going to get evo sport cats but they are supposedly garbage too. The evolve and SS cats are both great but they just cost waaaaaay too much.

Reactions: CMBeamerM5

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Please, take it from me DO NOT buy the magnaflows. I have had them on my car for approx a year and one is bad already. They are entirely to small for our cars, but they do sound amazing with the muffler delete
Should of gotten bigger ones ;)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Claude-
I've had the SS cats for several years now. Sound volume will increase some. Only issue for me has been SES light for Cat efficiency. Depends on your software. With Dinan 4, I was getting the SES light. With Powerchip, rear 02's were turned off and I couldn't pass NC inspection. With ESS, able to pass inspection.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ECB-Thanks for your input....I don't want to see codes start popping up that is for sure.

By the way, I went on a mountain run this past weekend with several members of carolinaeuros, and everyone kept asking me if I had the ESS supercharger system...I had to let them know it was not me they were thinking about...it was you. Wish you could have gone along for the run....it was great run with 25 plus BMW's.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Price has nothing to do with it. The Evolve headers cost more and are much higher quality with higher proven results.

Regarding cats, no one has been able to give me solid reasoning. I have heard so much banter that they do help, don't help, stock is the best, stock sucks, magnaflows are fine, magnaflows die quickly, etc. etc. I am not going with magnaflow because they are cheap but because they have the best cost-benefit relationship. I was going to get evo sport cats but they are supposedly garbage too. The evolve and SS cats are both great but they just cost waaaaaay too much.
From what I've read, the Evolve headers are still not available...are they? I noticed you were requesting the first set of LHD, have you received them?

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
From what I've read, the Evolve headers are still not available...are they? I noticed you were requesting the first set of LHD, have you received them?
LHD GB is going on at the moment.

20 sets are being produced and will be delivered to everyone within a few weeks.

High Flow CATS are available also.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts

Quality CATS cost money.

Example - cars over here have done well over 15k miles on our CATS and are passing emissions. Our tests measure the CO2 and hydrocarbon levels at the back of the exhausts.

Cheap CAT's will fail emissions tests and begin to break apart over time.

Our CAT's are 100-CELL FIA approved.

Supersprint supply the highest quality HJS items.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I will chine in on the SS CATS as well. I would imagine whether its SS or Evolve, both are of good quality.

I happen to have the SS, because they were what was available at the time. I had them once, pulled them off due to smog. Once I smogged the car, I had to go out and buy another set.

Why??? The sound in combination with Headers (Supersrint or Evolve I would imagine) is AMAZING. It gives (IMHO) the exhaust note a whole different sound level. I cant speak to the performance, but would agree with Chuck and Aaron with regards to a tune. You will need one (Even with just headers) so make sure their tune (Read "Off-Road approved only) will turn off those god-forsaken post CATS...:) Once you hear a Beast with them, vs. without, you'll understand.

Good Luck

Steve

1 - 20 of 30 Posts