BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously thinking of doing the SS headers on my beast for the next mod and had a few questions to those members that already have done this. I've got the Dinan cans on the car now and while I would love to do the SS headers, race cats and X pipe, all that at once will blow my budget.

1. If sticking with the stock cats, did you purchase the SS piece that goes between the header and the cats or did your installer fabricate a section to go from the header collector to the cats?

2. Should I have the X pipe done at the same time or do I need to do the x pipe to get the performance benefit from the headers by eliminating the resonators as a bottleneck?

3. What should I expect to pay for installation labor since these don't require lifting the engine to install them.

4. Is there any member in the Dallas, TX area that has the SS headers on their E39 and if so who did your installation?

Thanks for any insight you can offer me.

Mike

·
10,456 Posts
I am seriously thinking of doing the SS headers on my beast for the next mod and had a few questions to those members that already have done this. I've got the Dinan cans on the car now and while I would love to do the SS headers, race cats and X pipe, all that at once will blow my budget.

1. If sticking with the stock cats, did you purchase the SS piece that goes between the header and the cats or did your installer fabricate a section to go from the header collector to the cats?

2. Should I have the X pipe done at the same time or do I need to do the x pipe to get the performance benefit from the headers by eliminating the resonators as a bottleneck?

3. What should I expect to pay for installation labor since these don't require lifting the engine to install them.

4. Is there any member in the Dallas, TX area that has the SS headers on their E39 and if so who did your installation?

Thanks for any insight you can offer me.

Mike

1. I kept the stock cats, and used the SS connector pipe. A muffler shop could probably fab one up.
2. Resonators or not, it's only sound, they are not a bottle neck. (you do save a bit of weight by getting rid of them as well). I had an x pipe, was too lout /raspy for me, so i put the factory resonators back on.
3. i've seen 8 - 12 hours labor posted on this board.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've currently got Eisenmann cans. SS headers and race cats are going on in the next few weeks. I'm going to leave the stock resonator because I prefer the sound with it in place. The shop that's doing the install quoted me 10 hours.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I would have the exhaust guy fab up the connecting pipes instead of buying them from SS.. One side was messed up on my set and we had to modify it anyway. It took roughly 12 hours to do mine..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts