BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggests, my new supersprint headers arrive this week and install is planned for Thursday/Friday.

A couple questions for those who are familiar...

-Install time is estimated around 10-14 hours. Seems high...confirm/deny?

-Are there any special tools/procedures needed for either removal of stock parts and install of new?

-I imagine everything should be relatively straight forward, but any tips or advice to make the job easier will be greatly appreciated from those with experience. I know John had some clearance issues with the collector on his car but I am at stok ride height and not too worried about that.

Thanks in advance...
JC

·
Registered
962 Posts
10-14 hours if you have never done it before is my guess. I think my indy did mine in at most 7hrs. I'd have to go back and check my receipt but I think he charged me around $700.

Did your seals arrive undamaged? They often don't and you will need to have them send you more.

Reactions: JCM55555

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just did all this last month so it is fresh in my mind.

30 mins to drop stock exhaust.
30-45 mins to remove passenger side stock manifolds.
30-45 mins to install passenger side SS headers.
10 mins to remove drivers side motor mount.
1-2 hours to remove stock drivers side manifolds.
1 hour to install drivers side SS headers.
10 mins to install motor mount.
15 mins to install collectors.
1 hour to get stock exhaust back up.

5-8 hours total I guess.

Make sure your collectors are bottomed out. Mark the primaries with chalk or something so you know or they will leak.

·
Registered
832 Posts
JC's getting headers!!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: <table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr align="center"></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
5-6 hours max, been there done that 8 times over.
Correct. My INDY, or I should say, the one I went with to install mine, charged me 5.5 hours.

My donut gaskets arrived cracked, but SS overnighted new ones so no biggie.

The labor range I received was from 5 hours to 21 hours. 21 hours was from a "reputable" Socal shop. I did not choose them for good reason.

No special tools required, very straight forward. As others mentioned, ensure collector is fully seated.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...s-headers-ground-clearance-4.html#post1915463

The best advise I can give is to ABSOLUTELY make sure that the collectors are fully seated as depicted in this photo. They may appear to seated all the way, but if you have more than 1/2" showing of the enlarged portion of the pipe, you will lower the header that much closer to the ground.

Take the extra time and get it right

Enjoy

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Hopefully the gaskets and everything arrive without issue.

I'll have the car for a week before I install my powerchip tune the following weekend. Should I have any reservations about driving the car without any tuning after my headers go on?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks guys. Really appreciate it. Hopefully the gaskets and everything arrive without issue.

I'll have the car for a week before I install my powerchip tune the following weekend. Should I have any reservations about driving the car without any tuning after my headers go on?
My post-header, pre-tune dyno on my car at full WOT showed lean only in the upper band. A few members run headers and still don't have a proper header tune yet. As long as you aren't redlining the car you should be fine until you get the new tune.

·
Registered
12,967 Posts
My post-header, pre-tune dyno on my car at full WOT showed lean only in the upper band. A few members run headers and still don't have a proper header tune yet. As long as you aren't redlining the car you should be fine until you get the new tune.
Agreed. Stay away from full throttle high rpms.

A fair time is 6-8 hours. I got charged 8 hours to do headers and swap diffs. Mech had not done headers on an M5 before. Other than the springs, and getting drivers side stock exhaust manifold off,he said it was no big deal.

He also had to work on the connectors that were sent to mate up to the stock cats. For the amount of time he put into it (no charge), he said it would have been just as easy to fab up his own.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

gsfent said:
Agreed. Stay away from full throttle high rpms.

A fair time is 6-8 hours. I got charged 8 hours to do headers and swap diffs. Mech had not done headers on an M5 before. Other than the springs, and getting drivers side stock exhaust manifold off,he said it was no big deal.

He also had to work on the connectors that were sent to mate up to the stock cats. For the amount of time he put into it (no charge), he said it would have been just as easy to fab up his own.

Regards,
Jerry
Thats funny bc my indy stated the exact same thing as you Jerry about the connector pipes. In fact, he did end up fabbing his own pipes.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Can you do us a favor??? Lay one side out and assemble them without the springs? What I am looking for is if your collector, with donuts and sleeve slide all the way up on the header pipe....To the portion of the pipe that is no longer oversize. It would be that area at the end of the individual header pipe that has be expanded.

Looking to see if you can get it ALL the way up. That is how you want your installer to make sure they get them on.
Cant stress this enough
Thanks

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can you do us a favor??? Lay one side out and assemble them without the springs? What I am looking for is if your collector, with donuts and sleeve slide all the way up on the header pipe....To the portion of the pipe that is no longer oversize. It would be that area at the end of the individual header pipe that has be expanded.

Looking to see if you can get it ALL the way up. That is how you want your installer to make sure they get them on.
Cant stress this enough
Thanks
I already dropped parts off at my installer so unfortunately I won't be able to do as you ask. I plan on swinging by tomorrow mid day to check on progress so I'll take some photos for you at that time. He is aware of the importance of full insertion into the collector so it shouldn't be an issue for us.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Headers on, no issues. I took a few photos today before she came off the lift but I'd like to wait to do a full write up until after I load my Powerchip software. That should be this weekend or next, depending on the weather. Unfortunately the under tray was already placed back on so I couldn't get very good photos depicting the insertion depth into the collector, but they are in there as far as they will possibly go....believe me. Difference in sound, feel, and power are all magnificent. I won't say too much just yet!

For now....here's a small teaser... :haha2:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Really? No WOT? :nono: JK :hihi:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts