BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an opportunity to test fit srt8 Jeep calipers for 15in. Rotors.
Plus: they will practically bolt up. The bolt size is different, (srt calipers have a larger bolt) than stock e60 spindle.
Minus: rotor is .5in. Too small for a bolt on application. 374mm vs. 400mm needed
I’ve looked at f10 rotors which would work as for diameter, but do not have same hat depth or will not mount the same. Next step is to see if spindle can be modified to fit stock rotors(374mm)
Can anyone confirm f10 rotors are different in mounting depth(top of hat to back of rotor)? Or will they even mount to e60 hub at all.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Had an opportunity to test fit srt8 Jeep calipers for 15in. Rotors.
Plus: they will practically bolt up. The bolt size is different, (srt calipers have a larger bolt) than stock e60 spindle.
Minus: rotor is .5in. Too small for a bolt on application. 374mm vs. 400mm needed
I’ve looked at f10 rotors which would work as for diameter, but do not have same hat depth or will not mount the same. Next step is to see if spindle can be modified to fit stock rotors(374mm)
Can anyone confirm f10 rotors are different in mounting depth(top of hat to back of rotor)? Or will they even mount to e60 hub at all.
Very interested.. subscribed! I was pretty set on just getting a Stoptech setup or the Rotora kit. But if this is a little more cost effective with the same performance that would be great - will be tracking the M5 next year. Wasn't that pleased with the stockers when they faded on me when I was doing some roll races and almost rear ended a dump truck. I just have to figure out what to put in the back. Also most interested if it works with 19" wheels as I'm not going up in size just to fit brakes - I'd like to keep the thicker rubber as much as possible..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interested.. subscribed! I was pretty set on just getting a Stoptech setup or the Rotora kit. But if this is a little more cost effective with the same performance that would be great. I just have to figure out what to put in the back. Also most interested if it works with 19" wheels as I'm not going up in size just to fit brakes - I'd like to keep the thicker rubber as much as possible..
My neighbor has the rear set too, they look like a bolt up so far. When I get a chance we’ll bolt those up too and post pictures.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cost effective 6 piston conversion. And looks
Edit: large variety of options for brake pads too.
I'm all about performance first then looks - since they would look real nice on my custom BC wheel set.. coming soon.. :cool:.. Although Rotora did give me a pretty nice quote for a sweet setup that fits our M5.. :unsure:

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm all about performance first then looks - since they would look real nice on my custom BC wheel set.. coming soon.. :cool:.. Although Rotora did give me a pretty nice quote for a sweet setup that fits our M5.. :unsure:
I understated my explanation. I believe the performance aspect is a given. The reason I’m looking at this is price. The srt8 calipers are selling for 300-400 a piece. If there’s a reasonable way to retrofit them, the cost would make it worthwhile to do. Otherwise the stock brakes work fine. I’m now looking into modifying the spindles to work with stock rotors. Just need some spindles with hubs, to experiment with or maybe f10 rotors.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I understated my explanation. I believe the performance aspect is a given. The reason I’m looking at this is price. The srt8 calipers are selling for 300-400 a piece. If there’s a reasonable way to retrofit them, the cost would make it worthwhile to do. Otherwise the stock brakes work fine. I’m now looking into modifying the spindles to work with stock rotors. Just need some spindles with hubs, to experiment with or maybe f10 rotors.
My stock brakes were fine until I had a lot of high speed braking and they faded pretty bad to the point that safety was a concern - not that what I was doing was actually safe. So I went with a temporary mod that feels a little better for me - Stoptech steel braided lines, Bimmer World copper bushings with pins, Stoptech pads, Motul RBF600 fluid. Haven't abused them like how I used them when the brake fade occured but have noticed some improvement in stopping power. We'll just have to see if I come across some single turbo 335i's, SRT8's, ZL1 Camaros, etc, etc.. Also we'll see how they are at the track. If the brake mods I did are not sufficient enough for me, then I will consider BBK's..

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
The greatest advantage of a BBK is weight reduction over OEM. From memory, I dropped 10# per corner.

·
1,659 Posts
My stock brakes were fine until I had a lot of high speed braking and they faded pretty bad to the point that safety was a concern - not that what I was doing was actually safe. So I went with a temporary mod that feels a little better for me - Stoptech steel braided lines, Bimmer World copper bushings with pins, Stoptech pads, Motul RBF600 fluid. Haven't abused them like how I used them when the brake fade occured but have noticed some improvement in stopping power. We'll just have to see if I come across some single turbo 335i's, SRT8's, ZL1 Camaros, etc, etc.. Also we'll see how they are at the track. If the brake mods I did are not sufficient enough for me, then I will consider BBK's..
The weak link in the OE system is pads and fluid. The same holds true for any street car brake setup tho. High temp fluid and race pads and the stock E60 setup is good for track abuse.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The weak link in the OE system is pads and fluid. The same holds true for any street car brake setup tho. High temp fluid and race pads and the stock E60 setup is good for track abuse.
Just missing the full race pads but so far my setup already feels better than stock. Been doing the same thing on my track bikes for years although I upgrade the master cylinder as well for a better feel and modulation - got lazy one time and went with with a bike with stock fluid and pads and almost ran off the track several times. We'll just see how it goes at the track next year.

·
1,659 Posts
On the 80s/90s gixxers the 6-pot from the 1100s was a common 'upgrade'. And I never questioned it until I calculated the surface area of the 4 vs 6 pot calipers. Guess what? Identical. So more like a downgrade as they were heavier. There were only a few years that had more surface area while being 4-pots. 600's 96-98 if memory is right. Funny enough those calipers were dirt cheap on ebay. I tried them and they were truly better than the 6-pots.

In this case you mentioned looks, so no arguing there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the 80s/90s gixxers the 6-pot from the 1100s was a common 'upgrade'. And I never questioned it until I calculated the surface area of the 4 vs 6 pot calipers. Guess what? Identical. So more like a downgrade as they were heavier. There were only a few years that had more surface area while being 4-pots. 600's 96-98 if memory is right. Funny enough those calipers were dirt cheap on ebay. I tried them and they were truly better than the 6-pots.

In this case you mentioned looks, so no arguing there.
Nice.. I currently have a Brembo RCS front master with Galfer lines and Vesrah RJL pads.. been an awesome setup this past 3 years. But yeah, unfortunately Im a sucker for looks as well.. which is a terrible weakness in my opinion..

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is so awesome if you can make it work!!!!

I was going to do the the bmw 6-pot retrofit eventually but having a hard time justifying almost $500 on brackets alone.

I understand it’s R&D cost but $500 for brackets is bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you test fitted them on 166's? Or are you running larger wheels?

·
Registered
135 Posts
How about the Hellcat Brembos? If the caliper mounting space is the same as the Jeep the Hellat Brembo might be better match to our stock rotors?

Hellcat rotors are 380x34

1 - 20 of 49 Posts