BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have found over the last couple of weeks that my front brakes are squeeling a bit. It is not all the time and the conditions in which they squeel vary. I am hoping to get some ideas from you guys here before I run to the dealership to have them looked at.

The car is a 2006 with only 35,000km (about 21,875mi) on it.

The squeel seems to occur after a bit of hard braking in that after a spirited drive the brakes will then squeel with a light application of the brakes. As I continue to brake harder (to a stop) the squeeling noise goes away.

The other time the squeel is apparent is when I am driving through the undercover carpark (parking garage I think you call it in the States). It will sometimes squeek when I am simply driving straight (no brake application at all) and other times the brakes will squeek when I am for example turning left (again without the application of the brakes). At the times when the brakes are squeeling when I am turning left for example, as soon as I am driving straight again the squeel goes away.

Obviously something isn't right.

I woudl appreciate nay help that you might have in troubleshooting this before I take the car to have it looked at.

Cheers,

Tim.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hey guys,

I have found over the last couple of weeks that my front brakes are squeeling a bit. It is not all the time and the conditions in which they squeel vary. I am hoping to get some ideas from you guys here before I run to the dealership to have them looked at.

The car is a 2006 with only 35,000km (about 21,875mi) on it.

The squeel seems to occur after a bit of hard braking in that after a spirited drive the brakes will then squeel with a light application of the brakes. As I continue to brake harder (to a stop) the squeeling noise goes away.

The other time the squeel is apparent is when I am driving through the undercover carpark (parking garage I think you call it in the States). It will sometimes squeek when I am simply driving straight (no brake application at all) and other times the brakes will squeek when I am for example turning left (again without the application of the brakes). At the times when the brakes are squeeling when I am turning left for example, as soon as I am driving straight again the squeel goes away.

Obviously something isn't right.

I woudl appreciate nay help that you might have in troubleshooting this before I take the car to have it looked at.

Cheers,

Tim.
This sounds normal to me. Not that we like it when our brakes squeal! Both front wheels have wear sensors which will trip on your dash when you pads are needing replacing, other then that you are probably in the bottom half of the life of the pad and the rotor might have a few deposits which rub when you turn in.

I had exactly what you are talking about on my car however it went away with new pads. If you are still under warranty I would take it to the dealership. they love to replace the pads/rotors even before it hits the wear sensor and your problem should be gone!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply mate.

Still under warranty for the next 18 months. I am not sure whether brake pads are covered under the Australian warranty as they are wear item. I will look into it.

Maybe the solutions is to get the car onto a hoist, get the wheels off and blow the brakes out with some compressed air.

It is good to hear though that the noise is not unusual.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts