BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody experienced a squeeking noise coming from their steering wheel. I've owned the car, 91 US Spec M5, for a couple of months and it has developed a really, really annoying squeek. It sounds like a rubber on rubber squeek. Any suggestions to get rid of it would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Timon said:
Has anybody experienced a squeeking noise coming from their steering wheel. I've owned the car, 91 US Spec M5, for a couple of months and it has developed a really, really annoying squeek. It sounds like a rubber on rubber squeek. Any suggestions to get rid of it would be awesome.
Hi!!
could be the contact ring for the airbag+signal horn. Mine was busted, began as irritating squeeking noise from time to time, then the airbag warning light came on and the steering wheel began to "stick" in some positions.
The ring was apparently totally in pieces...

Sakke

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the slip ring? How hard is it to pull the steering wheel? I've never pulled one with an airbag before. Any special tool required?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine has that mainly in winters. I have an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag. Sounds more like metal. It's never there in summers. At least two older porsches I know have the same problem.

Erik

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah mine squeaks a little too, only on certain angles of turn though. When i get round to it i'm going to spray a little light lube into the wheel/column join to see if that stops it.

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1) Disconnect battery
2) Undo the lower cover of the steering column
3) Unplug orange connector on left side of steering column
4) Using a T30 male torx socket, undo the 2 screws on the left and right backside of the wheel.
5) Carefully remove airbag and unlock and remove the plug
6) Put wheels and steering wheel in straight ahead position
7) release bolt/nut from center of steering wheel
NOTE: if your wheel is secured with a nut, you can only undo the nut with the steering wheel unlocked
8) mark position of wheel on shaft with marker or paint pen
9) do not rotate the slip ring with the wheel removed as damage may occur to the slip ring internally.

Airbag to steering wheel - 8Nm
Steering wheel to column - 80Nm(nut type), 63Nm(bolt type)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi

On my car (95 540i Sport) it was the plastic back of the steering wheel rubbing on the plastic covers of the steering column. Only happened in the winter for some reason. A shot of silicon spray, shot at an angle away from the steering column worked for me.

Peter M

·
Registered
217 Posts
BMW service bulletin recommends the use of a conductive grease - sometimes called a copper paste; on the slip ring. The metallic nature of the grease is needed as the horn contacts of the steering wheel rotate on the slip ring.

Unfortunately, years ago BMW stopped stocking the part.

There has to be an equivalent grease somewhere...
I have not found a suitable product at electronics stores yet.
Maybe found in other marques' parts catalogs?

I believe silicon sprays will quiet the squeak temporarily and may also thin out whatever grease remains.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There is a product called Kupfer Paste, CRC makes a copper paste(they may be one and the same for all I know) and the BMW part number for their copper paste is 81 22 9 400 794. I can't tell you if BMW still stocks it, but I know CRC - Kupfer paste is around - it was stocked at the shop I last worked in. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts