BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 with 54k on it. Running everything stock except for H&R springs and 12mm spacers all around. When the car is cold and sometimes on bumps like comming out of my driveway there is a loud squeak that comes from the rear and sometimes on bumps it happens as well. Have not checked my shocks to see if they are leaking yet but am I right to think that this is the symptom? If this is the case sounds like Im going to just jump on a set of coils like I should have in the first place. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Mines got a strange squeak that only happens in random circumstances, sometimes a pot hole in the road, sometimes when bumping down the kerb, sometimes when changing direction quickly. The weird thing is that when it does it and you hear the squeak, you can't make the car do it again by repeating whatever triggered it in the first place.

I would say it is most definitely coming from the front of the car, but unsure of what it is.

·
Registered
431 Posts
so I might be able to shed some light on this. My car is an 08 with 50k miles. I have been trying to solve a wobble issue for months now and subsequently replaced practically the entire front suspension. ever since I bought the car I have randomly heard this "squeaking" or "chirping" as I like to call it. seeing as i replaced all the rubber bits i can almost say for certain its not the bushings which pretty much only leaves the struts them selves. I remember reading in another thread that one of the symptoms of a bad DSC strut is this chirping sound. I have been waiting on Troy to get some struts in, to swap mine out to test this theory but he hasn't come through yet. I will either wait for Troy or wait for those Billstein replacement DSC struts to come out (if they ever do) and they are reasonably priced.

one other thing I noticed, is after removing the struts to do things like replace control arms and what not. the first drive after getting it all reassembled it would chirp really bad for about the first 2 miles then it would die down.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
so I might be able to shed some light on this. My car is an 08 with 50k miles. I have been trying to solve a wobble issue for months now and subsequently replaced practically the entire front suspension. ever since I bought the car I have randomly heard this "squeaking" or "chirping" as I like to call it. seeing as i replaced all the rubber bits i can almost say for certain its not the bushings which pretty much only leaves the struts them selves. I remember reading in another thread that one of the symptoms of a bad DSC strut is this chirping sound. I have been waiting on Troy to get some struts in, to swap mine out to test this theory but he hasn't come through yet. I will either wait for Troy or wait for those Billstein replacement DSC struts to come out (if they ever do) and they are reasonably priced.

one other thing I noticed, is after removing the struts to do things like replace control arms and what not. the first drive after getting it all reassembled it would chirp really bad for about the first 2 miles then it would die down.
Remember the control arms have two sides...the bushings on one, which can be replaced w/o replacing the arm, and the "ball" (I think that's what it's called?) on the other end which will require changing the whole control arm. Did you replace the control arms already as well or just the bushings? I can't remember.

Struts are pricey...hopefully it's an easier fix than that. PT will figure it out for ya, I'm sure. I have some front suspension issues myself, I think it's the bushings, but I haven't been able to get them really checked out yet (all the indy shops in the area are too busy!). Been messaging back and forth with [email protected] and he thinks it's bushings from my description of my issue, but who knows. Mine is more like a "clunk" sound/feeling when at slow speeds over uneven roads and it feels like it's coming from the wheel areas. Also, there is a rattle coming from something else as if something is loose...maybe sway bar? I really need to get it checked out ASAP. Alekshop actually checked it out and said nothing seemed wrong....but that's just not possible.

Actually, you're local. Let's meet up and compare suspension problems lol.

--EDIT-- I see in one of your other threads that you did change the control arms. Might be the struts then...since you've pretty much changed out everything else...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lower control arms (busing and ball joint) -twice
Upper control arms (busing and ball joint) - once
Strut bushings - once
outer tie rod ends - twice
sway bar end links - once
hub/bearing - once
wheels - 3 times
tires - 3 times (balanced on road force at 2 different shops)
rotors - 3 times
alignment - twice

only thing left is the struts, which is possible i guess... and they do make this chirping noise, but i dunno seems like a stretch

possibly the inner tie rod the steering rack or a combination of steering pump and something.

other wise I fudged up something with my installs of all these suspension components which is possible so i will have PT check my work for sure. I also have the polyurethane bushings for the front lower control arms that I might have PT press in while the suspension is apart. they will definitely be swapping out my trans.

we should do a meet one of these days Randy. i'm pretty busy next few weeks and after that i plan on having my car in at PT, who knows how long that will take! lol

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Lower control arms (busing and ball joint) -twice
Upper control arms (busing and ball joint) - once
Strut bushings - once
outer tie rod ends - twice
sway bar end links - once
hub/bearing - once
wheels - 3 times
tires - 3 times (balanced on road force at 2 different shops)
rotors - 3 times
alignment - twice

only thing left is the struts, which is possible i guess... and they do make this chirping noise, but i dunno seems like a stretch

possibly the inner tie rod the steering rack or a combination of steering pump and something.

other wise I fudged up something with my installs of all these suspension components which is possible so i will have PT check my work for sure. I also have the polyurethane bushings for the front lower control arms that I might have PT press in while the suspension is apart. they will definitely be swapping out my trans.

we should do a meet one of these days Randy. i'm pretty busy next few weeks and after that i plan on having my car in at PT, who knows how long that will take! lol
Wow...that's a lot of swapping of parts you did! Sucks that none of that swapping fixed the issue though!

I thought the polyurethane bushings are expected to give some squeaking?? At least that's what I read.

A few of us just went to Cars & Croissants at Santana Row this past Saturday. Was pretty fun. Tony (EuroCarFan) is usually the guy who sets up local meets, although I guess I kind of pushed for this past Saturday's. I'm always down to grab coffee whenever.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow...that's a lot of swapping of parts you did! Sucks that none of that swapping fixed the issue though!

I thought the polyurethane bushings are expected to give some squeaking?? At least that's what I read.

A few of us just went to Cars & Croissants at Santana Row this past Saturday. Was pretty fun. Tony (EuroCarFan) is usually the guy who sets up local meets, although I guess I kind of pushed for this past Saturday's. I'm always down to grab coffee whenever.
well the swapping did do something. the second time I replaced the lower control arms, the wobble went from being at 50-60mph to now at 70-80mph.... what a mind Fu$% that was. I was so happy it was gone then i got on the freeway to go home and it started again!! AHH now the screwy part is its totally intermittent. I can dive some where and get the wobble the whole way there then on the way back its magically gone. UGH

Poly bushing can be squeaky if they aren't lubed well. but i haven't put them in yet so we'll see...

Shoot me a PM next time there is a meet up, i will try to make it out to meet you guys!

Sorry for hijacking your thread OP :cheers:

·
Registered
691 Posts

Chirp! Your right, its more of a chirp than a squeak.

It is a bit irritating but I guess I can live with it, just spend more time in the 5k+ rpm and I won't hear it ouich

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just had all my bushings and upper and lower control arms replaced as I was getting the same squeakiness and she just didn't handle quite the way she used too. Man I am in love all over again, the handling is back to phenomenal. I upgraded to polyurethane bushings too. The ride and handling is just supreme for me.

Reactions: Hasan Shaikh

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Where did you get the polyurethane bushings?

Thanks

Just had all my bushings and upper and lower control arms replaced as I was getting the same squeakiness and she just didn't handle quite the way she used too. Man I am in love all over again, the handling is back to phenomenal. I upgraded to polyurethane bushings too. The ride and handling is just supreme for me.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts