BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It does not squeak when you turn the wheel but rather it's the mechanism that raises and lowers the position of the wheel.

Where should I lube this thing and how deep into the steering column do I need to go down?

Anyone else ever have this issues?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Same annoying rattle of the steering column height adjustment every time i get in and out. I was told it is the motor going bad but i am hoping it is possible to lube the system somehow.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Quick ghetto way to get rid of it is to move the steering wheel through it's full travel 30 times or so, and then once every two weeks. So, full out, up, down, in, up, out, down, in...over and over. Helps spread what is left of the grease.

Or, the way I solved it, was by buying some spray on graphite grease. Take the lower kick plate above the footwell out (four screws, three fasteners and unclip the little speaker) and lie on your back in the footwell looking up. Move the wheel up and down, and you'll see a little jackscrew on the left. Spray some grease on that, plus on what looks like a little swash plate and it should go away for good!

Best part of graphite grease is that it doesn't attract more dust and grime.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick ghetto way to get rid of it is to move the steering wheel through it's full travel 30 times or so, and then once every two weeks. So, full out, up, down, in, up, out, down, in...over and over. Helps spread what is left of the grease.

Or, the way I solved it, was by buying some spray on graphite grease. Take the lower kick plate above the footwell out (four screws, three fasteners and unclip the little speaker) and lie on your back in the footwell looking up. Move the wheel up and down, and you'll see a little jackscrew on the left. Spray some grease on that, plus on what looks like a little swash plate and it should go away for good!

Best part of graphite grease is that it doesn't attract more dust and grime.

Thanks.. I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
510 Posts
steering wheel creak - update with pic

Just finally got around to solving the steering wheel creak and thought I'd revive this thread with a picture in case anyone else wants to see exactly what is (most likely) causing that annoying noise when you get in/out of the car. Based on other threads of this topic, I went with the Wurthe lubricant that sprays on thin and then sets up into a lithium grease. Amazing.

Here's the picture, it's the orange/gold colored screw drive on the right side of your steering wheel, hidden below and back from the ignition key slot. You can see the screw drive move in and out as you use your left hand to raise/lower the wheel. The original factory grease dries up and makes nasty rubbing sounds. Feel free to lube up any other of the moving parts in the wheel while you are in there.

sweet, sweet silence.
SP

Reactions: chowdah
1 - 7 of 7 Posts