BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello eveyone ~!

I recently noticed my beast making some unusual sound. When truning the steering wheel , the car makes squeaky sound from the engine

conpartment. It sound like as if something if frozen. Every single time , when I turn my steering wheel from left to right it happens.

This symptom does not go a way, even if the car is fully warmed up. It sounds like as if you are stepping on snow .

whre I live ,the temperature dropped to 1 degree fahrenheit. Can it be the weather or is there something wrong with my steering system.

Thank you for reading my thread and I hope you have a safe day . !!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Have you checked your power steering fluids? If, was there enough? And when you have changed them?
I did have same (I think) problem long time a go with my Beast, changed power steering fluids (they looked quite ugly) and after that everything were ok :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked your power steering fluids? If, was there enough? And when you have changed them?
I did have same (I think) problem long time a go with my Beast, changed power steering fluids (they looked quite ugly) and after that everything were ok :)
Mailman ~! Thank you for sharing your thoughts !! I think I had enough power steering fluid at the time and it it only 4month old. But to

make sure I should check them again.

Could this be happening because of the bad steering line maybe ???

·
Registered
365 Posts
steering column creaking

Mine does this every winter. Worse with start up, seems to disappear as things warm up. If I recall, there was a fix (search the threads), but it never bothered me much, so I leave it alone.

ssomed

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does this every winter. Worse with start up, seems to disappear as things warm up. If I recall, there was a fix (search the threads), but it never bothered me much, so I leave it alone.

ssomed
Hi there ~ thank you for your reply. !! Yes like you said , it seems to be the sound goes away as the car gets warmer !!

Also now that I am back home , My garage is pretty warm and it doesnt make this sound anymore !

Would you happen to know , under what name I should do the search for ?!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
In my car, it was #7, which is difficult to lubricate.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

I used a thin, high temperature, PTFE lubricant and worked it in and around the area until she squeak stopped. The sound has never returned, but when it did occur, it was during the hottest time of the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts