BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning.

New to this board. Just bought a 2013 M5 with a stick. Love it, but the brakes squeak sometimes. Web search says this is not uncommon with the high performing braking system, but I wonder. Is this indicative of a brake problem?

Thanks, look forward to getting responses.

Motorhead

·
Registered
67 Posts
The M5 F10 was shipped with squeaky brakes as a standard feature until April 2014 when they changed the OEM pads and introduced a pad with anti-vibration weights.
Mine (2013) suffered from the exact same issue, but it was resolved after changing to a pad with the vibration weights

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forethat - that’s comforting, many thanks. BMW can do better than make an high-end performance vehicle that sounds like a rolling Monro promo.

Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Forethat - that’s comforting, many thanks. BMW can do better than make an high-end performance vehicle that sounds like a rolling Monro promo.

Have a great weekend.
Yeah, nothing to worry about except being embarrassed when it happens around other people or with passengers. haha. I know the brakes (at least the pads) were replaced on my M5 sometime before I bought it. I occasionally get squeal but usually a few harder stops during the next drive makes it go away.

As to the note about putting a car out like that... I'd say they used a compound they thought was a good mix of performance and street-ability. Obviously they got it slightly wrong. Typically track pads or higher performing pads will squeak. I totally get your point, but I'd argue they did too good of a job trying to maximize performance and didn't worry as much about complaints. Obviously a mistake!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts