BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've had a squeaky bolster on my drivers side for the longest time. I had it addressed the last time I took it into the dealer a year ago. At the time he stated that it couldn't be replicated and the part was way backordered anyways.... but to mention it the next time I came in and they would take care of it. Fast forward a year. I haven't been driving the car much and just took it in Sat for a unrelated issue. I brought up the bolster and the service advisor (not my regular guy) mentioned that my factory warranty expired like 10 months ago and now I'm on the extended warranty I ourchased through this dealership. He stated that he didn't think the extended warranty would cover it. I mentioned that this issue was discussed on my previous visit and we left it at that. I figured I'll argue it if/when they decline it. So here's my question to you guys.

Based on my having brought it in for that previously...should I expect them to take care of it...using good will or whatever? If so what are the chances that I can get them to cover it? Anyone else have a warranty item fixed this far out of warranty? Or did I blow it by not bringing it back in before my factory warranty expired.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
55 Views and no opinions? Com'on guys! What do you think?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it squeaky when moving (on start-up or pressing the the little buttons on the side)? I had it and fixed it with DW40 - from the back of the seat - opened up the hard side cover and sprayed it in. The noise is gone...

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's exactly it. good tip, i'll give it a shot. Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mine squeaked too. Took it ot the dealer, they fixed it without issue.

In your case if the WD40 doesn't work I'd push the issue of the squeak while it was under warranty. I mean BMW keeps good records. On your file the work order form a year ago would have mentioned something about the squeak and what they tried to do to fix if at all. On the other hand if your SA knows you he/she should just do it as a good will thing again knowing this wasn't addressed while under warranty.

Squeaks, rattles, humming and other noises frustrate me while I'm drivinggrrrrrrr Get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Is it squeaky when moving (on start-up or pressing the the little buttons on the side)? I had it and fixed it with DW40 - from the back of the seat - opened up the hard side cover and sprayed it in. The noise is gone...

how does the rear cover open up?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I finally got it figured out... Here you go.

Squeaky active seating bolster fix.

Here's some pics I posted from when I addressed this issue in my 06 M5. You have to remove the upper seat back. No way around it. It's actually very easy. Look at the pics. It attaches in 4 spots, 2 upper and 2 lower. The 2 upper just "pull" straight out. The 2 lower are hooks....so you pull the top two straight out...firm pressure pulling till they pop out...then lift up towards the roof and the other two come free easily.

I went to the local autoparts and bought CRC white lithium grease in a aerosol can...rigged together two straws so I had some reach. It's good stuff, odorless and NOT messy. With the upper rear cover removed you still can't really see what's going on in there...so I manually adjusted the bolsters back and forth while peering in and got a pretty good idea of where they were coming from. Tnen I just threaded the straw down in that location as good as I could and shot 3 or 4 three second blasts. Then I manipulated the bolsters again...they got quieter....so I did it again...3 or 4 blasts...and it was gone.

Then I did the same on the other side.

Re-installing the upper seat back is easy....very self explainatory once you've seen it apart. Just take your time and line up the bottom...then press on the outside of the top and they "snap" back in.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
As a fellow M5 owner and neighbor (I'm in Fountain Valley), I THANK YOU.

Crevier wanted over $300 just to diagnose the problem. If it was a "warranty item" it was covered, if it was not, then I would be stuck with the diagnostic fee AND have to pay an additional fee for them to fix it. Looks like something I can solve in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fountain Valley? Ha! My shop is at Warner & Harbor. Yeah, if you REALLY take your time it might take 20 mins....works great!

·
Registered
343 Posts
As a fellow M5 owner and neighbor (I'm in Fountain Valley), I THANK YOU.

Crevier wanted over $300 just to diagnose the problem. If it was a "warranty item" it was covered, if it was not, then I would be stuck with the diagnostic fee AND have to pay an additional fee for them to fix it. Looks like something I can solve in about 10 minutes.

I 2nd the thank you for taking the time to write this up!!! :1:

Mine squeak too and while I typically only drive the car hard in M mode once a month I hate the noise.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks mine is squeaking too, I asked the dealer and they gave me the same answer not covered under CPO. Looks like an easy fix.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Sheeet, the last time I took it to the dealer I SPECIFICALLY mentioned the ACTIVE SEATING BOLSTERS were squeaking when moving...fast forward a couple of days......I pick up the car and forgot to check. Driving down the street and sure enough.....first corner they squeak. I got back to work and looked at the invoice and guess what it said?

"Customer says leather seat bolsters squeaking. "

"Conditioned leather seats with Lexol. No more squeak"

WTF? They rubbed some leather conditioner on it! AND then charged me like $30 for it.

They must have thought I was some dipsh*t customer who was complaining about the leather squeaking? And THEY were too stupid to realize what I was talking about......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Just performed this today and it fixed the squeak!

As an update and extra hint, it's just as easy to remove the lower portion of the seat-back as it is to remove the upper portion. (Just pull directly back on the top and then slide up and it's off.) The best way to do it (and how I did it) is to reach your hand in and you'll see just below the hard horizontal cross beam on the right side, you can press the tab in to make the back pop off very easily. After that you can then shift the back slightly left/right to make the left side pop out easily. The way the tabs are shaped makes it so that pulling directly back requires a lot of force but putting some lateral movement on it will make it pop out much easier.

When the lower portion is off, you can directly see the mechanism that drives the bolsters. They are yellow colored and have gear teeth on them and what appears to be two tracks to slide upon. I took some graphite grease and sprayed both of them. After the initial spray they stopped squeaking. I didn't even have to work them in and out like the OP did. When I sprayed I had a paper towel stuffed right below to catch excess if it were to drip (since the stuff I used is like water when first sprayed).

·
Registered
823 Posts
I performed this as well and the squeak is gone. It took me less than 15 minutes total for both seats. A big thanks to CBarton for creating this helpful thread!:cheers:
-TZ

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just updating this incredibly useful thread with two additional notes.

First, I accidentally ripped off one of the clips on the upper right seat cover by pulling it out a bit too vigorously. My clip was extremely tight on that side, it might be prudent to slip in a small trim wedge and loosen up the clip from the side first.

Second, here are some pics of what area to lube with white grease once the lower seat cover is removed. It's the yellow toothed bracket, and I greased it completely, top and bottom. After extending the bracket in and out once or twice, all the squeaking is gone. My local dealership told me that to fix up the squeak, they would have to change the entire seat. Whatever!

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
wow sub'd my driver side squeaks too when I corner hard I guess I will do this fix once it gets worse lol thanks for this good thread should be a DIY Sticky IMO.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts