BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
question... my 2002 M with 93k miles on it has a squeaking noise soundig like its maybe coming from rear of car... BMW suggests that I get new rear control arms BUT they didn't seem confident that was the problem... NOW i do not want to spend $900 for a possible fix

also replacing pwer steering hoses for $455 seems steep to right? funny how in OCtober when i had warranty the car was mint, now they est $2000 (power steering hoses/ coolant flush/ brake flush/ belts/ rear control arms/ parking sensor)

any help would be appreciated...

bob

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Had the exact same problem as you, I had to swap out these parts.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE91&mospid=47550&btnr=33_0448&hg=33&fg=45
Part number 3,7 and 8.

Before you buy these parts you can do a quick check to see if this is the problem. Get the car on a ramp and jack the rear of the car up so the rear wheels are off the ramp. Then look at the shock absorber, it will be off center and rubbing against the suspension which is causing the squeak. This means that part number 7 a rubber bushing has come to the end of its life. But seeing as you have to take the suspension out to get to it I would replace parts 3,7 and 8 on both side of the car.
To do this the bottom of the rear seats need to come out and the rear shelf to get to part 8 which holds the top of the shock/suspension in place, but to get the rear shelf out you need to remove the two side trim panels with the reading light in them.
If you need any more help give me a shout.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Does it happen at low speeds and turning? Like when parking or turning into you garage? Change your rear diff fluid. Sounds crazy..I know the squeaking noise well...kinda like a rubber noise right? It was the diff in the rear.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes a low speeds, turning?
just sounds like something is loose, just a small rattle noise, but i'm tired of hearing it

·
Registered
622 Posts
yes a low speeds, turning?
just sounds like something is loose, just a small rattle noise, but i'm tired of hearing it
It wont hurt to change the diff fluid. I think BMW recomends 100K change anyway. The reason I asked about turning was that wheels rotate at different speeds so the limited slip diff is active.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts