BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had been looking for quite a while, researching about square setups, spacer sizes, rubbing and such. I decided I wanted to go with 9.5 all around because of better looks, less understeer and better braking. After that I asked here which spacers I should go with and after testing 3mm ones I decided to leave a larger margin for any wheel bends that could occur and go with 10mm ones. At first I was worried but after looking at some threads I realized I should have no problem. Looked at this one with 20mm in the front (which would fit the same as 10mm spacers on the ET22 rears with half an inch towards the outside) http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...n/162067-spacers-20mm-up-front-10mm-rear.html

Also looked at this ither thread with square 275s on 10mm spacers which really made me sure of my decision:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...6-style-65-9-5-square-setup-10mm-spacers.html

Still not 100% sure of no rubbing and a little worried that 275 would be too wide with some tire variation I decided to go with 265s up front and 275s in the rear. I know I lost the benefit of rotating but I don't really mind since I don't mind replacing rears first and then fronts, which in the long run will be about the same as running same tires front and back.

So, bought 2 wheels locally and 2 wheels here and had them refinished in silver (OEM finish too expensive and not worth the extra cash to me) They look the same after a few drives :biggrin:

Anyway, on to the pictures:
[/url]DSC_0031 by josegt5, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]DSC_0037 by josegt5, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]DSC_0038 by josegt5, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/url]DSC_0035 by josegt5, on Flickr[/IMG]

The car height is pretty much perfect to me but that is because the struts are on their way out and when I replace them I presume the front height will be too high for my tastes so I'll probably go with some springs along with the konis. Any suggestions on which?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
IF you want the height similar to what you have now, go with Dinan springs. IMO they give the best ride height without compromising ride quality.

Reactions: masterofgoingfaster

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm going to be completely honest I think a staggered setup with the right spacers looks much better than square.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Curious as to why? If the outside edge of the tire ends up at the same place with spacers as using the square setup, how does it look different/better?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
IF you want the height similar to what you have now, go with Dinan springs. IMO they give the best ride height without compromising ride quality.
That sounds good, but the Dinans are pretty expensive.EDIT: Thought they were $500, $300 is more reasonable. What about the B&G? I also considered H&R front only because The rear already has the konis on and the height is not bad, however I think the front will raise too much when the new struts go on.

I'm going to be completely honest I think a staggered setup with the right spacers looks much better than square.
Yeah I considered that but between extra cushion for potholes, better braking, less understeer, and IMO a more agressive look it was a no brainer for me. I can see your point though, and I really considered it.
Curious as to why? If the outside edge of the tire ends up at the same place with spacers as using the square setup, how does it look different/better?
I much prefer the extra "lip" of the rear wheels and don't really like how the spokes in the 8.5s go right up to it. I also like the meatier look of the tire. Looks weren't the primary objective here, but I do prefer this look over staggered + spacers.

I'm still debating on wether or not to put spacers in the rear, right now to me it looks like it would rub with 10mm ones on

·
Registered
12,923 Posts
I think the car looks good, but I agree, the logic doesn't make a lot of sense on the setup.

So OP, you go with 9.5's all around to give you more rubber in front along with a wider track. You add a 10mm spacer instead of 3mm, which works for everyone else using 275's (even allowing for different brands having different footprints). So you have moved the outside edge 7 mm father out, which messes up your suspension geometry a bit (search for "scrub radius") and puts more load on the wheel bearing. But then you REDUCE the width of the tire by 10mm, which means you lose 5mm on each side of the centerline.

So, you gain 2mm of tire footprint on the outside edge (effectively a wider track by 2mm), but mess up your suspension geometry AND you forego the ability to rotate the tires. :dunno: Seems like reinventing the wheel, but hey, your car, you get to do what makes you happy!!!:cheers:

If you change your mind, easy to fix by getting the proper spacers and tires on the next go round.

Regards,
Jerry

BTW, I assume you got the longer bolts for the wider front setup. That is important.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the car looks good, but I agree, the logic doesn't make a lot of sense on the setup.

So OP, you go with 9.5's all around to give you more rubber in front along with a wider track. You add a 10mm spacer instead of 3mm, which works for everyone else using 275's (even allowing for different brands having different footprints). So you have moved the outside edge 7 mm father out, which messes up your suspension geometry a bit (search for "scrub radius") and puts more load on the wheel bearing. But then you REDUCE the width of the tire by 10mm, which means you lose 5mm on each side of the centerline.

So, you gain 2mm of tire footprint on the outside edge (effectively a wider track by 2mm), but mess up your suspension geometry AND you forego the ability to rotate the tires. :dunno: Seems like reinventing the wheel, but hey, your car, you get to do what makes you happy!!!:cheers:

If you change your mind, easy to fix by getting the proper spacers and tires on the next go round.

Regards,
Jerry

BTW, I assume you got the longer bolts for the wider front setup. That is important.
Like I said in the OP, I went with 10mm ones because 3-5mm ones were cutting it close with the strut and a bad wheel bend can easily protrude 5mm. Roads here are pretty bad and I didn't want to risk it. I did search about the scrub radius but considering the amount of people using spacers on the 8.5s (which also messes with the scrub radius) and the variety of wheel setups around, 7-8mm didn't really bother me. I went with 265s because of fear of rubbing the fender, specially with tires as square as these. Also like in the OP, I states that I don't mind not being able to rotate and not changing out all 4 tires at once. I have some 3mm spacers still but I don't plan on using them for the reasons I said. I did get the extended bolts for both the 3mm and 10mm spacers and due precautions were taken during install.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
FWIW, the stock M5 front wheels are 8" wide.

Reactions: OC e39r

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Like I said in the OP, I went with 10mm ones because 3-5mm ones were cutting it close with the strut and a bad wheel bend can easily protrude 5mm. Roads here are pretty bad and I didn't want to risk it. I did search about the scrub radius but considering the amount of people using spacers on the 8.5s (which also messes with the scrub radius) and the variety of wheel setups around, 7-8mm didn't really bother me. I went with 265s because of fear of rubbing the fender, specially with tires as square as these. Also like in the OP, I states that I don't mind not being able to rotate and not changing out all 4 tires at once. I have some 3mm spacers still but I don't plan on using them for the reasons I said. I did get the extended bolts for both the 3mm and 10mm spacers and due precautions were taken during install.
Just so you understand, the wheel is not that close to the shock. I've been running square setup and 3mm shims for quite a while and only have a small tire rub mark on the shock fromm max deflection. If you bend your wheel 5mm, you've got bigger problems than interference of the wheel with the shock. You won't be going anywhere.

Reactions: D-RodM5

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
^ +1.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
one comment- The 265 front and 275 rear is probably more 'balanced' than 275s...remember dinan standard S2 is 285/275 as I recall.

I just dial up tire pressure on my fronts, which carries more load and abuse, which seems to dial down oversteer...and I really need to be able to rotate

For me, there is no diff in look with a 10mm delta one way or the other

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
FWIW, the stock M5 front wheels are 8" wide.
Right you are, I was thinking of my old 19s which were 8.5 ET15
Just so you understand, the wheel is not that close to the shock. I've been running square setup and 3mm shims for quite a while and only have a small tire rub mark on the shock fromm max deflection. If you bend your wheel 5mm, you've got bigger problems than interference of the wheel with the shock. You won't be going anywhere.
I can tell you that it is because I've seen it. I test fit the wheel with no spacers first while I hade my front bumper removed and the inner lip would touch the shock in places with the slightest (1mm) bend. Put the 3mm ones on and checked again, even with the wheels perfectly straight as they are now it would only allow a margin of 5mm as I said. If you think a wheel can't bend more than 5mm without being functional take a look at a picture of my 19s before getting repaired a few months ago when I hit a bad pothole:

Tell me that isn't 5mm. I drove it slowly for a couple of days like that until I got it fixed. It would lose about 5PSI a day but it was driveable. If that were to happen with 3mm spacers I'd possibly lose a strut and be without my car for sure for at least a few days while I get the wheel fixed. If the strut breaks then more. I'm just being extra cautious, it shouldn't happen with the extra tire cushion I have now but it COULD and that's enough for me to go with bigger spacers. This is just my opinion on the matter and I know that for many years people have gone with the 3mm setup but I can tell you that it would not have worked for me.
For reference, here's a picture of the wheels on without spacers:

And this is 3mm

No thanks

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
No further comments. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
speechless

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I started with 3mm spacers (with 275 tyres) and clearance was tight. I then went up to 5mm
which was ok. However, I finally managed to get some 10mm hubcentric spacers (H&T) that are ideal.
Hth.
I really considered the 5mm ones as they would probably provide enough clearance but then I got worried of covering too much of the hub and having fitment/vibration issues so I just went full hubcentric

speechless
In a good way or a bad way?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
speechless
?

3mm was too close, I had about a mm clearance and I felt it wasn't enough. That was with the car static and on a jack. I did drive it like this for a while but I did get a few marks on the strut.

Later I fitted BC coilovers, wasn't enough iirc.

I tried the 5mm spacers, this gave just about enough clearance but I did get vibration issues as the wheel did not locate properly on the register (and was a pain to fit).

Otherwise the car felt pretty much the same.

I discovered that H&R (not H &T) made hubcentric 10mm spacers, so I went with these. Car still feels the same and I've reasonable (ie I'm happy) clearance.

This works for me.

No need to be speechless, you can say what you want :)

I really considered the 5mm ones as they would probably provide enough clearance but then I got worried of covering too much of the hub and having fitment/vibration issues so I just went full hubcentric

In a good way or a bad way?
I had vibration issues with 5mm, wasted money experimenting. I'd say it was a reasonably wise move to go hubcentric. I kept it as low as I could.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
It was directed @ thread, not your reply. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts