BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some 9.5 (rear) OEM style 65s locally in rough shape for $200 (going to repaint them)

(don't mind the front bumper, getting it repainted and brake ducts installed)

Thing is, I'm wondering wether to go square or not, my biggest worry is clearance. I read about 5 threads about this and deduced that the general way to go is 3-5mm spacers and extended bolts. Now, the extremely stretched tires it has on are 225/45 and the wheel/tire is dangerously close to the strut/lower spring mount (I'm talking 2mm to rubbing on the strut with the car lifted. I just bought 2 265/35/r18 S-04 bridgestones and plan on installing them in these wheels, hopefully going square 265 if it works (like a bit of extra margin and a tiny bit of stretch)

my questions are:
-Will it rub on the fender under compression? (currently on stock alignment with worn out struts that will be replaced by konis in the next month or two
-Will it hit suspension parts with the 5mm spacers installed?
-If I were to lower it afterwards on springs will it rub then?
-will the wheel protrude too much on 5mm spacers? I would say not because right now it's pretty much perfect.
-What brand do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
no rubbing here. I am running 3mm spacers, dinan s1.5 suspension and have Michelin PSS 275s on all 4 corners.

2 e39's with square set-ups.

Only way to fly!

:M5thumbs:

Reactions: masterofgoingfaster

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I'm running Vredestein 275/35/18 square set-up on Greta with 3mm spacers and extended lug bolts. I've got a DINAN Stage II suspension set-up and only rub on the inside a tad on sharp left u-turns.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I run square with the factory tire sizes, 3mm spacers, and oem lug bolts. No rubbing except for a little stripe of rubber on the strut up front. Sounds like you're considering 5mm spacers so that you can have some room to add negative camber without contact on the strut? Keep in mind that when you add this negative camber, the clearance between the strut body and tire will not change since the strut body moves with the camber adjustment. No need to compensate for this.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
10+ years experience here with 275/9.5 square. Don't use 5mm spacers since they aren't hub-centric. If you use the 3mm spacer, there is enough hub left extending through the 3mm spacer to index the wheel bore on. 3mm is all you need unless you use a BFG R1 (R-comp DOT competition tire) in 275 size. On full lock parking lot stuff, there is rubbing on the inside fender well (just let up the steering by a tad and it's gone), and there will be occasional minor strut contact with the tire under extreme cornering deflection (slight rubber transfer to strut), but it's nothing you can find evidence of on the tire sidewall (this is with a variety of tires over the years, PS2, Dunlop Star Spec, PSS).

Everything I just wrote above has been discussed in great detail over the years. I'm surprised there are not useful links in the FAQ. Here's one I did with a picture sometime ago.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Went square a few weeks ago as well. 3mm spacer (w/ extended bolts), stock suspension, michelin pss 275 all around, no rubbing AT all (even at full lock).

·
Registered
554 Posts
Went square a few weeks ago as well. 3mm spacer (w/ extended bolts), stock suspension, michelin pss 275 all around, no rubbing AT all (even at full lock).
A few weeks ago? Where the F did you find PSS's in 275? I've been back-ordered for a month and a half. I'm going to come hunt you down.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
my questions are:
-Will it rub on the fender under compression? (currently on stock alignment with worn out struts that will be replaced by konis in the next month or two
No

-Will it hit suspension parts with the 5mm spacers installed?
No. In fact, the point of the spacer is to avoid the tire rubbing any suspension parts.

-If I were to lower it afterwards on springs will it rub then?
Possibly, but lowered cars normally rub only at full lock and only on the plastic liner at the front of the wheel well just above the brake duct opening. Nothing to worry about.

-will the wheel protrude too much on 5mm spacers? I would say not because right now it's pretty much perfect.
No, it should be close to flush.

What brand do you recommend?
H&R, and some copper grease for the hub to keep the spacer from sticking.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
A few weeks ago? Where the F did you find PSS's in 275? I've been back-ordered for a month and a half. I'm going to come hunt you down.
Yes just a few weeks ago :p

I was able to snag a pair from a local board member who was switching to bridgestones!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I just went to see and I'm still worried about 3mm. The roads here are pretty bad and I fear I get a bend and hit the strut and cause a disaster. Currently the wheel has a very small bend (1mm) and it hits the strut. Here's a picture

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can use a 5mm, 6mm, 10mm...whatever spacer you like (so long as you have the longer wheel bolts to match)
Won't 5mm have a problem with the bevel? I ordered 3mm with the necessary bolts and If it's too close for comfort I'll go with 5mm ones. I feel 10mm would stick out too much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts